Following a year-long inquiry the AMRC has devised a list of 10 recommendations to end the UK being "the fat man of Europe". These include:
- Taxes of 20% on sugary drinks for at least a year
- Banning the advertising of foods high in saturated fat, sugar and salt before 9pm
- Councils having the power to limit the number of fast food outlets near schools and leisure centres
- NHS staff to talk to overweight patients at every appointment about their eating and exercise habits
- Advice for new parents on how to feed their children properly
- All schools to serve healthy food in their kitchens
- A ban on junk food an vending machines in hospital premises
- £300m to be spent over the next three years on weight management programmes
- More surgery for the severely obese, to help those at risk of dying
- Food labels to include calorie information for children
More top news
Jacob Rees-Mogg has played down speculation he harbours ambitions to become Prime Minister after he moved nearer to Parliament.
David Gauke said those who take cocaine at dinner parties are responsible for fuelling the violence on city streets.
Largely fine and dry across Scotland and Northern Ireland.