Following a year-long inquiry the AMRC has devised a list of 10 recommendations to end the UK being "the fat man of Europe". These include:
- Taxes of 20% on sugary drinks for at least a year
- Banning the advertising of foods high in saturated fat, sugar and salt before 9pm
- Councils having the power to limit the number of fast food outlets near schools and leisure centres
- NHS staff to talk to overweight patients at every appointment about their eating and exercise habits
- Advice for new parents on how to feed their children properly
- All schools to serve healthy food in their kitchens
- A ban on junk food an vending machines in hospital premises
- £300m to be spent over the next three years on weight management programmes
- More surgery for the severely obese, to help those at risk of dying
- Food labels to include calorie information for children
More top news
Sean Penn has been battling a Netflix documentary over suggestions he aided the capture of Mexican kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.
The PM's performance in Brussels sends a strong signal she has been taken hostage by the Brexiteering true believers in her party.
Mobile phone providers are charging loyal customers up to £38 a month more than they should after the cost of a handset has been paid off.