Following a year-long inquiry the AMRC has devised a list of 10 recommendations to end the UK being "the fat man of Europe". These include:
- Taxes of 20% on sugary drinks for at least a year
- Banning the advertising of foods high in saturated fat, sugar and salt before 9pm
- Councils having the power to limit the number of fast food outlets near schools and leisure centres
- NHS staff to talk to overweight patients at every appointment about their eating and exercise habits
- Advice for new parents on how to feed their children properly
- All schools to serve healthy food in their kitchens
- A ban on junk food an vending machines in hospital premises
- £300m to be spent over the next three years on weight management programmes
- More surgery for the severely obese, to help those at risk of dying
- Food labels to include calorie information for children
More top news
Phil Rudd also pleaded guilty to possessing crystal meth and marijuana in a New Zealand court.
Ed Miliband will order an emergency recruitment drive of nurses so an extra 20,000 will be working in the NHS by 2020.
Sir John will give a speech later today saying a Labour-SNP government would be "weak and unstable" and wreck Britain's economic recovery.