Following a year-long inquiry the AMRC has devised a list of 10 recommendations to end the UK being "the fat man of Europe". These include:
- Taxes of 20% on sugary drinks for at least a year
- Banning the advertising of foods high in saturated fat, sugar and salt before 9pm
- Councils having the power to limit the number of fast food outlets near schools and leisure centres
- NHS staff to talk to overweight patients at every appointment about their eating and exercise habits
- Advice for new parents on how to feed their children properly
- All schools to serve healthy food in their kitchens
- A ban on junk food an vending machines in hospital premises
- £300m to be spent over the next three years on weight management programmes
- More surgery for the severely obese, to help those at risk of dying
- Food labels to include calorie information for children
More top news
A Canadian soldier has been killed and another injured after a suspected Islamic militant mowed them down in Quebec.
QPR boss Harry Redknapp claims he has been Adel Taarabt's only ally at the club in the past three years as their row escalates
Two people are dead another person is in hospital after London and the South East was battered by the fallout from Hurricane Gonzalo.