Following a year-long inquiry the AMRC has devised a list of 10 recommendations to end the UK being "the fat man of Europe". These include:
- Taxes of 20% on sugary drinks for at least a year
- Banning the advertising of foods high in saturated fat, sugar and salt before 9pm
- Councils having the power to limit the number of fast food outlets near schools and leisure centres
- NHS staff to talk to overweight patients at every appointment about their eating and exercise habits
- Advice for new parents on how to feed their children properly
- All schools to serve healthy food in their kitchens
- A ban on junk food an vending machines in hospital premises
- £300m to be spent over the next three years on weight management programmes
- More surgery for the severely obese, to help those at risk of dying
- Food labels to include calorie information for children
More top news
Jericho the lion, who it had been claimed was shot dead yesterday by poachers in Zimbabwe, is "alive and well", conservationists have said.
A hitchhiking robot that won the hearts of fans worldwide has met an untimely end after being vandalised on its trip across the US.
Rules could be changed to remove support for failed asylum seekers living in Britain with their families, a Home Office minister has said.