A majority of people say they are not worried about unknowingly eating horsemeat, with men being especially unconcerned, according to an ITV News Index poll conducted by ComRes.
- 27% of people said they think they have eaten horsemeat without their knowledge and are concerned about it.
- Women are more likely to be concerned than men: 30% of women, compared to 23% of men.
- 51% said they think they have probably eaten horsemeat but are not concerned about it.
- 58% of men reported being unconcerned about eating horsemeat, compared with 45% of women
On the principle of eating horsemeat in general, the public seem divided, and strong gender differences prevail.
- 44% said they do not mind eating horsemeat, as long as they knew what they are eating
- 46% said they did mind eating horsemeat
- 53% of men said they did not mind eating horsemeat, as long as they knew, whilst 56% of women said feel uncomfortable eating the meat
ComRes surveyed 2,050 people.