The government had hoped to raise £3.5 billion from the 4G auction but only managed to raise £2.3 billion.
Here is the amount each company paid:
- Everything Everywhere paid £588 million.
- Hutchison 3G UK paid £225 million.
- Niche Spectrum Ventures (subsidiary of BT) paid £186 million.
- Telefónica UK Ltd paid £550 million.
- Vodafone Ltd paid £790 million.
4G was meant to earn £3.5 billion for government yet only £2.3 billion was achieved in the auction of phone frequencies.
With the announcement that 4G is confirmed for rollout across the UK later this year, what does the future hold for mobile data services?
After a highly secret process the UK mobile phone operators are shortly to find out who has won what in the auction of 4G licenses.