- Lord McAlpine was wrongly implicated by Newsnight on November 2, 2012, as being part of a paedophile ring which targeted children at a care home in Wrexham.
- His name was then widely mentioned on the internet, particularly Twitter.
- The former Tory politician reached a £185,000 settlement with the BBC for its botched investigation.
- He also received £125,000 from ITV and Phillip Schofield relating to a This Morning programme broadcast on November 8.
- Lord McAlpine is pursuing Sally Bercow, wife of Commons speaker John, over comments she made on the social networking site.
More top news
Is Manchester really more powerful than Wales and Northern Ireland? Find out how the union's four nations compare with England's regions.
Hollywood director J.J. Abrams has been declared the victor in a good-natured Twitter war with his friend and fellow director Zack Snyder.
A selection of UK newspaper front pages after Scotland voted to stay in the United Kingdom.