- Lord McAlpine was wrongly implicated by Newsnight on November 2, 2012, as being part of a paedophile ring which targeted children at a care home in Wrexham.
- His name was then widely mentioned on the internet, particularly Twitter.
- The former Tory politician reached a £185,000 settlement with the BBC for its botched investigation.
- He also received £125,000 from ITV and Phillip Schofield relating to a This Morning programme broadcast on November 8.
- Lord McAlpine is pursuing Sally Bercow, wife of Commons speaker John, over comments she made on the social networking site.
More top news
Ed Miliband's pitch to business is based on staying in Europe - will this be enough to get their votes?
The DJ involved in a prank that led to the suicide of a nurse said that she thought her inability to have children was 'karma'.
Who's in charge and what happens if there's an international crisis? Here are answers to key questions about the dissolution of parliament.