Afghan murder charges against two Marines dropped

Murder charges against two Royal Marines accused of killing a captured Afghan national have been dropped.

The pair, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, were among five marines facing court martial charged with murder.

Three other commandos are due to enter pleas against the charge next month at the Military Court Centre in Bulford, Wiltshire.

The Service Prosecuting Authority (SPA) said the decision had been made as part of their "duty to conduct a continual review" of the evidence.

The incident is believed to have happened on or around September 15, 2011 while the servicemen were on duty in Afghanistan.

In a statement, the SPA said proceedings against the marines, known only as D and E, had been discontinued.