Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said he had been aware of "indirect and non-specific concerns" in 2008 about alleged inappropriate behaviour towards women by Liberal Democrats' former chief executive Lord Rennard.
The allegations made on Channel 4 concerning Lord Rennard last Thursday were extremely serious and distressing to the women involved.
It is critical they are investigated thoroughly and dealt with properly and they will be.
But I would like to make one thing crystal clear.
I did not know about these allegations until Channel 4 informed the party of them shortly before they were broadcast.
I have today spoken to one of the women in the broadcast who I respect and admire and who confirmed that she had never raised the issue with me.
I am angry and outraged at the suggestion that I would not have acted if these allegations had been put to me.
Indeed, when indirect and non-specific concerns about Chris Rennard’s conduct reached my office in 2008, we acted to deal with them.
My Chief of Staff at the time, Danny Alexander, put these concerns to Chris Rennard and warned him that any such behaviour was wholly unacceptable.
Chris Rennard categorically denied that he had behaved inappropriately and he continues to do so.
He subsequently resigned as Chief Executive on health grounds.
Nobody thinks Nick is the kind of guy who would defend a 'boy's club', but that does not necessarily mean he has handled the issue well.
One of the women who made allegations against Lord Rennard told ITV News that Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg shifted his position on the matter.
Questions for the Lib Dems mount, centred on what senior members knew about allegations surrounding former chief exec Lord Rennard and when.