Jo Swinson, Minister for Women and Equalities, has said that she was aware of misconduct allegations against Lord Rennard after women previously confided in her.
In a statement,she said: "I took action and ensured that others took action. I told the women who had confided in me what I had done to try to put a stop to any inappropriate behaviour, and encouraged them to let me know if they became aware of any further incidents."
Ms Swinson also said she welcomed the review into how the party responded to this situation so that "lessons can be learned".
"It is important that a proper process is followed and I look forward to the opportunity to contribute to the review", she added.
More top news
Armed police were out in force as runners competed in the largest public event in the city since Monday's terror attack.
Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche, 23, was stabbed along with Rick Best, 53, when they tried to stop a racist attack on two Muslim girls.
The shadow home secretary, 63, said she worked in the Home Office for nearly three years when she was a trainee.