The TaxPayer's Alliance is calling for a freeze on the Beer Duty Escalator.
They say that despite only drinking 13 per cent of the EU's beer, Britons pay 40 per cent of the tax bill.
- In 2008 the Government made a commitment to above-inflation duty increases on beer
- Since then, while duty has increased by 42%, revenue has only increased by 12%
- High taxes make your drinks more expensive, with tax often constituting a third of the price of a pint
- In the last 4 years, 5,800 pubs have closed and 60,000 jobs have been lost
- Beer is already taxed more in the UK than almost every other country in Europe
Source: TaxPayer's Alliance