The 'bedroom tax' will affect around 660,000 social housing tenants across the country:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children (who receives the extra benefit)
- Foster carers as foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Couples who use their spare bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
Source: The National Housing Federation
More top news
There will be gales across Scotland and northern England this morning, but these will gradually ease through the afternoon.
An unnamed 14-year-old boy was taken into custody following the attack, Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore said.
Scientists hope to capture stunning images and valuable data in the final moments before its impact.