The 'bedroom tax' will affect around 660,000 social housing tenants across the country:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children (who receives the extra benefit)
- Foster carers as foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Couples who use their spare bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
Source: The National Housing Federation
More top news
Showers continue across some southern and western areas tonight.
Two people are being treated in hospital after an "explosion" in a flat in West Dunbartonshire.
Tom Billings, 22, went missing in Canada in December 2013 during an eight-week trip of North America.