The 'bedroom tax' will affect around 660,000 social housing tenants across the country:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children (who receives the extra benefit)
- Foster carers as foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Couples who use their spare bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
Source: The National Housing Federation
More top news
ITV News correspondent Duncan Golestani pays tribute to a fearless young Kurdish journalist he trained in Iraq.
ATM machines were affected, while people also reported problems using cards in shops.
Representative Darrell Issa, who is from California, has said there should be a special prosecutor investigating Russian hacking and Trump.