The 'bedroom tax' will affect around 660,000 social housing tenants across the country:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children (who receives the extra benefit)
- Foster carers as foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Couples who use their spare bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
Source: The National Housing Federation
More top news
Cold and sunny for most, increasingly cloudy from the west. Cloud and wind spreading from the west of UK.
A woman, 63, was allegedly grabbed from behind and dragged to the ground in a serious assault near a nature reserve.
A 21-gun salute was first sounded in the capital, Havana, as Castro's ashes were taken to the cemetery in eastern Cuba.