The 'bedroom tax' will affect around 660,000 social housing tenants across the country:
- Separated parents who share the care of their children and may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. Benefit rules mean that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children (who receives the extra benefit)
- Foster carers as foster children are not counted as part of the household for benefit purposes
- Couples who use their spare bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
- Parents whose children visit but are not part of the household
- Families with disabled children
Source: The National Housing Federation
More top news
Maurice Wrightson smashed into rocks rather than attempt the corner when his brakes failed descending a precarious mountain pass.
There were scenes of panic as Oxford Circus tube and the surrounding area were evacuated after police received reports of gunshots.
Coleen Rooney said she is trying to make her marriage to the footballer work as she addressed divorce rumours in a defiant Facebook post.