Two houses nearby the sinkhole that is believed to have killed a man in Florida have been evacuated because it has weakened the ground under them.
Residents will probably will never be allowed inside again, said Jessica Damico of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.
Authorities used listening devices and cameras at the scene of the 30-foot (9-metre) wide hole in the ground but detected no signs of life.
There's nothing compatible with life in this situation.
There's no way of possible survival.
Our data has come back, and there is absolutely no way we can do any kind of recovery without endangering lives of workers.
Ms Damico said demolition of the home would begin early today.
More top news
Cincinnati Zoo's director stood by the decision to shoot dead a 17-year-old gorilla after a toddler accidentally entered his sanctuary.
A total of 8,648 sailors died during the largest naval engagement during the First World War, which marks its centenary on Tuesday.
The figures by the Global Slavery Index are a third higher than previously thought.