The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Serena Williams won her sixth Australian Open title with a hard fought 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) victory over Maria Sharapova in Melbourne
New Army unit which will use psychology and social media to help Britain "fight in the information age" is being set up, the MoD announced.
Police proposals suggest that all frontline police officers should have the option of arming themselves with Tasers.