The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Civil rights leaders called for a probe into claims a southern school took no action against students over an alleged "racial hate crime".
A teenager dressed as a "killer clown" and brandishing a hammer has been stabbed after attempting to scare a group of young people.
Researchers in the US claim they have discovered the answer to the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle.