The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Warmer with a mild, muggy night ahead
The headteacher of Saffie Rose Roussos's primary school has paid tribute to the little girl who was "beautiful in every sense of the word".
Ten people have died on the mountain so far this climbing season - four more than mountaineering officials expect in a typical year.