The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
A six-year-old boy playing with a gun fatally shot his younger brother, 4, in the head, authorities said.
A band of rain will approach from the west today and threatens to be heavy at times.
Drugs mule Melissa Reid was caught smuggling £1.5 million of cocaine out of Peru so she could "boast about it" to friends in Ibiza.