The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Police would face "real challenges" tackling a repeat of the London riots after years of cuts, one of Britain's most senior officers warns.
Here are the buildings we know are affected and what action is being taken by local authorities.
During an appearance at Glastonbury, the actor asked: "When was the last time an actor assassinated a president ... maybe it's time."