The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Australian Rules football has been left in shock after the son of Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh was charged with his murder.
One in four secondary school maths teachers does not have a degree in a relevant subject, according to new figures.
Solar-powered Solar Impulse broke the record for a non-stop solo flight and is due to land in Hawaii later.