The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
'I'm not a fan of the new pound coin, but then again, I hate all change'
In a policy speech on Afghanistan, Donald Trump has performed the greatest reversal so far of his young and wild Presidency.
After a grey and misty start in places many southern and eastern areas can expect a fine day with some warm sunshine.