The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
The widow of an Islamic State leader has been charged with conspiracy in the death of US hostage Kayla Mueller.
David Cameron's mother has apparently signed a petition against spending cuts in his constituency.
Terry Wogan was turned down for a job at the BBC by Sir David Attenborough in 1965, recently unearthed letters reveal.