The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
The WWF reports that these new species were all found in 2014 - but that human development is already threatening many of them.
Research into long-term breeding patterns in flies showed that mothers whose ancestors displayed gay behaviour were more fertile.
12 people are confirmed missing with another 30 unaccounted for, with more bad weather on the way.