The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Heterosexual couple Rebecca Steinfeld and Charles Keidan challenged the law and lost - but the ruling shows the matter is far from resolved.
Mild but cloudy
On his 93rd birthday, Robert Mugabe insisted he has no plans to stand down as Zimbabwe's leader and vowed to stand again in the election.