The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Torture is so routine in Nigeria that some police stations appoint an 'officer in charge of torture' according to Amnesty International UK.
A female motorcyclist who hates litter bugs seems to have taken drastic action to make people stop dropping rubbish on the streets in Russia
ITV News can reveal how many hospital trusts are being forced to recruit from abroad as they struggle to staff their wards.