The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Fellow designers including Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs have revealed they would refuse to do so.
Theresa May could face a Tory rebellion as MPs demand to see her plan for Brexit.
"I've never told anyone that before," she told the Today Show on a visit to a homeless shelter in New York.