The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
ITV News spoke to Nick Channing-Williams who described the freezing conditions on board the car ferry that caught fire earlier today.
A widespread frost will affect the UK due to plummeting temperatures along with a lingering fog in several areas.
Members of the Queen's Guard have been assigned the protection of armed police, amid reports they could be targeted by terrorists.