The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
The German bomb - a 500kg device - was spotted by a barge carrying out dredging works, the Royal Navy said.
The study found children born in the 1980s have found it much harder to build up wealth in housing and pensions as they age.
The singer ended speculation over who would perform by saying "the rumors are true" to her 63 million Twitter followers on Friday morning.