The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
A humid night for some with thundery downpours in places.
The 20-year-old was found fatally wounded on Roth Walk, near Finsbury Park, north London at around 3am on Saturday, Scotland Yard said.
Daniel Cowell has been jailed for five years and four months after ramming a police patrol car with a stolen transit van.