The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Conditions will remain cloudy, with some showers in the south and sunny spells likely, especially in the east.
Here are Ian Payne's British medal prospects for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
The Democratic presidential nominee pledged to foster an inclusive society, create jobs and make college tuition debt free for all.