The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Some 66 people have been killed after the plane they were travelling on crashed in southern Iran.
The letter calls for an end to harassment, abuse, and impunity in a world "ripe for change".
Police say that anyone who sees Whitehouse should not approach him, but instead call them on 999 and quote incident 23 of 18 February.