The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Karl, 17, was stabbed to death when his friends became involved in a row with around a gang of youths in Hackney, east London in 2004.
Researchers believe they have found the wreckage of British explorer James Cook's ship "Endeavour".
Four kittens have been rescued from a fire by emergency services in California, USA.