The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
The station's decision not to renew the former London mayor's contract follows his controversial comment about Hitler supported Zionism.
Sarah Seawright's police photo was shared hundreds of times by fawning social media admirers after she was arrested for careless driving.
Zoo officials said the 17-year-old gorilla was killed to save the life of the boy who had crawled past a barrier into its enclosure.