The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
Here in Belgium they're describing the Davis Cup Final as the host nation against Andy Murray and in a way it is.
The elderly man is all alone until Aldi's favourite gin-loving granny Jean, famous for their tea adverts, swoops in.
A Labour source reveals the (un)pleasantries at the shadow front bench meeting, including a confrontation between two high-profile members.