The UK's 50 biggest payday lenders have been given 12 weeks to change their ways or risk their licenses after the Office of Fair Trading uncovered evidence of "widespread irresponsible lending".
Particular areas of non-compliance included:
- 30 of the 50 websites looked at emphasised speed and simplicity over cost -in some cases making claims that, it true, would amount to irresponsible lending.
- Lenders failing to conduct adequate assessments of affordability before lending or before rolling over loans.
- Failing to explain adequately how payments will be collected
- Using aggressive debt collection practices
- Not treating borrowers in financial difficulty with forbearance.
More top news
The pensioner made arrangements with undercover agents to have sex with a nine-year-old boy in California.
Up to 30 people have been found dead in an Italian hotel that was hit by an avalanche following a trio of earthquakes on Wednesday.
Two British athletes have rowed the Atlantic setting a new record for completing what is dubbed the world's toughest row.