According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
Toys R Us has scrapped its four collectible dolls based on the characters of the hit TV series Breaking Bad after a campaign by a US mother
Late actress Lynda Bellingham shared how she planned to spend Christmas during a moving final interview on Loose Women to be broadcast later
Around 760 out of the 4,200 foreign offenders living freely in the UK have disappeared from sight, according to a leading watchdog.