According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
Primary school teacher Lewis Siddall was killed in an 'unprovoked and senseless' act of violence, family and police say.
Make the most of the mild air.
The vehicle is captured on CCTV crashing through the shop window and hitting a browsing customer who was lucky not to be seriously hurt.