According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
By Sunday it should become drier with spells of winter sunshine but temperatures will still remain on the cool side.
There was no White Christmas but here's a look at the best Boxing Day snow scenes.
Actor Dustin Diamond allegedly stabbed a man in a bar in the US after getting into an argument on Christmas Day.