According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
The latest baby name figures have been released - but is your name one of the most popular or falling out of favour?
Yoko Ono has accused the family lemonade business of 'abusing and misusing the legacy of John Lennon to sell their soda'.
The PM will demand faster action from Google, Facebook and Twitter as world leaders set them a deadline and warn of fines for inaction.