According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
People living near a string of gangland shootings are being urged to turn in the gunmen, as police chiefs warned: "Enough is enough."
The RFU's inquiry into what went wrong for England at the Rugby World Cup could be long and painful.
Nina Nannar has an unforgettable encounter with the man who has run the Chanel couture house for more than 30 years.