According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
A computer geek convicted of trying to buy ricin poison from the Dark Web said he was inspired by the hit television series Breaking Bad.
A host of celebrities have taken to social media to speak out on the killing of well-known lion Cecil in Zimbabwe by a US dentist.
It will be largely dry with some good sunny spells breaking through across many parts today