According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
David Cameron will stand down as Conservative leader ahead of the general election expected in 2020, Iain Duncan Smith said.
Delegates at the SNP spring conference have backed a move to allow all-female shortlists in the Scottish Parliament election next year.
Michael Clarke ended his one-day international career by leading Australia to a simple World Cup final win over New Zealand.