According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
Man's best friend really does understand some of what we are saying, scientists are suggesting.
Selena Gomez said she was taking time out to deal with panic attacks and depression thought to be a side effect of her lupus disease.
Temperatures will be highest in the southeast, reaching a high of 24 Celsius (75F) here.