According to Ms Cooper, the number of such visas has gone up by 30,000 a year since the election, and no checks are being made on whether students study or overstay.
- Stronger checks on shorter-term student visitor visas
- "Faster, stronger enforcement" when illegal immigrants are found
- Unannounced border agency inspections, carried out by officers with arrest powers, for employers and colleges and exit checks at borders
- More prosecutions and higher fines for paying less than the minimum wage
- Measures to tackle "gangmasters" employing illegal migrants in the social care, hospitality and construction industries
- A ban on housing workers in over-crowded accommodation
More top news
Can you guess what film the cow was trying to watch?
New 'smart ticketing' plans will also be introduced so travellers can receive automatic compensation payments for late trains.
The 41-year-old father of six died last Thursday - a week before he and the band had been due to begin touring in North America.