The Afghan Taliban has claimed responsibility for the suicide attack at an Afghan defence ministry gate in Kabul.
They said in a statement the attack "is a kind of message" for US defence secretary Chuck Hagel, who is visiting the country.
Hagel, who was in a safe location at an ISAF facility at the time of the blast, has planned to meet US commanders and troops and hold talks with President Hamid Karzai.
An Afghan defence ministry official told Reuters at least nine civilians had been killed and 14 people wounded in today's attack.
More top news
The hunt for a blind WWII veteran's medals has intensified after Crimestoppers offered £5,000 for information which leads to their return.
A Cornish village fundraising to develop a community centre were helped out with a donation from an unlikely source - the Emir of Dubai.
Thursday will be an unsettled day across many northern areas with outbreaks of rain which could be heavy, accompanied by strong winds.