Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
ITV News hears the remarkable story of a Holocaust survivor who went on to marry the British soldier who liberated her from Bergen-Belsen.
A touch brighter to the southeast but still a great deal of cloud cover across the UK with patchy rain in the west.
A teenager has been expelled from school after posting insults about his headteacher on Facebook.