Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has told ITV Sport he twice failed to sign Wayne Rooney before finally getting his man.
Rowan Atkinson slipped back into character for the 25th anniversary of Mr Bean and took his mini for a spin outside Buckingham Palace.
The former head of security for Rebekah Brooks has said that he will release details that will "shock everybody" about News International.