Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
Another cold night across Britain with temperatures closely dipping below freezing in rural areas in the north.
Research shows that for every one child known to be self-harming there are another eight cases going unreported.
ITV News Europe Editor James Mates catches up with a Syrian refugee family he met in Hungary last month who have now arrived in Germany