Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
The model and her footballer husband announced the birth of their second child who they have named Liberty Rose.
After a wet and windy start to the week, conditions will gradually improve, with temperatures creeping up, and up.
A slowly improving day across southern parts of the UK as the active frontal system moves away southwards.