Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
Residents of Fort McMurray were restricted to salvaging only their clothes and pets as they were evacuated.
Warm sunshine to end the working week
The polls have now closed, and the first result is expected in an hour.