Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
The Queen opened this year's Commonwealth summit with the message that "a nation's size is no measure of the moral strength of its people".
French President Francois Hollande today led a memorial service to the 130 victims of the Paris attacks in the city.
Cameron announces Commonwealth nations intention to set up specialist unit to target extremist "scourge" fuelling international terrorism.