Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
Darth Vader actor David Prowse has reprised his role as the Green Cross Code Man - 40 years after the original campaign ended.
The TV chef claims his father-in-law "forged" his signature to make him personally liable to pay £640,000-a-year rent on a pub.
Rain is forecast to hit most parts of the country this evening with a weather warning in place for Northern England and southern Scotland.