Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
Villarrica - one of Chile's most active volcanoes - has erupted, forcing the evacuation of nearby communities.
Footage showing the "truly shocking" moment a teenager was stabbed to death as he rode his bike with friends has been released.
Drinking three to five cups of coffee a day could reduce the risk of clogged arteries and thus heart attacks, a study has found.