Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
Former BBC Apprentice contestant Stuart Baggs has died, a spokesman for his firm has said.
Tonight: a woman awaiting a double hand transplant, a dream realised through strangers, and a family who quit their life to travel Britain.
In the three years since Liam Lyburd was expelled from Newcastle College he built up an anger and resentment for the college.