Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
In the British Medical Journal, cardiologist John Dean said doctors who carry out private health work deprive the NHS of a vital resource.
On ITV News at Ten this evening, an incorrect picture was used in a story about Edwin Mee, who was found guilty of 13 sex attacks...
Europe is at risk of an unprecedented explosion in obesity rates, researchers say.