Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
It will be a dull and damp day today, with heavier and more persistent rain to the northwest and across Wales.
Royal Mail privatisation report reaches a surprising conclusion - and it's good for the Government
Public libraries face "absolute disaster" and should take inspiration from coffee shops to avoid large-scale closures, a report has claimed.