Widespread resistance to antibiotics has been described as a "apocalyptic scenario" in a report from the Government's Chief Medical Officer. Dame Sally Davies has called for:
- The development of new drugs
- Better care of the current stock of antibiotics
- Better hygiene measures to prevent infections
- The prescription of fewer antibiotics
- More action to tackle the next generation of healthcare associated infections, including new strains of existing viruses
More top news
A funeral home reportedly stored coffins containing bodies in a corridor next to an old bike and a Christmas tree.
West Ham's dramatic FA Cup win over Liverpool will go down as one of the club's greatest ever games, says Slaven Bilic.
Scotland will see a mixture of sunshine and showers today, with some showers turning wintry in places.