Princess Lilian’s decades-long love story with the king's uncle was one of Sweden's best-known love stories.
She died yesterday aged 97 after an eventful life:
- Born in Swansea, she moved to London at 16 to embark on a career as a model and an actress
- She showcased hats and gloves in commercials
- She met Prince Bertil in 1943 during WWII – he was stationed at the Swedish Embassy in the London as a naval attaché
- His obligations to the throne and Lilian's status as a divorced commoner prevented them from making their love public
- In 1976, some 33 years after they first met, they were finally given approval to get married
More top news
A fresh round of singing hopefuls put aside their nerves to face the X Factor judges as the talent show returns for a new series.
A 51-year-old Everton fan has died after collapsing during his team's match against Stoke City.
Intense and thundery weather will continue to extend to many places before the end of the day.