Princess Lilian’s decades-long love story with the king's uncle was one of Sweden's best-known love stories.
She died yesterday aged 97 after an eventful life:
- Born in Swansea, she moved to London at 16 to embark on a career as a model and an actress
- She showcased hats and gloves in commercials
- She met Prince Bertil in 1943 during WWII – he was stationed at the Swedish Embassy in the London as a naval attaché
- His obligations to the throne and Lilian's status as a divorced commoner prevented them from making their love public
- In 1976, some 33 years after they first met, they were finally given approval to get married
More top news
A car bombing outside a popular ice cream parlour in Baghdad has killed 13 people and wounded 24.
Both Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have been forced to defend their records and answer tough questions from an audience in a TV grilling.
Patchy rain affects northern areas of the UK in the next 24 hours. Elsewhere, dry but rather cloudy.