Princess Lilian’s decades-long love story with the king's uncle was one of Sweden's best-known love stories.
She died yesterday aged 97 after an eventful life:
- Born in Swansea, she moved to London at 16 to embark on a career as a model and an actress
- She showcased hats and gloves in commercials
- She met Prince Bertil in 1943 during WWII – he was stationed at the Swedish Embassy in the London as a naval attaché
- His obligations to the throne and Lilian's status as a divorced commoner prevented them from making their love public
- In 1976, some 33 years after they first met, they were finally given approval to get married
More top news
The US Secret Service chief faces questions from politicians today over the latest in a series of worrying White House security breaches.
On average it is looking like September 2014 will be the driest for over 100 years.
Cheick Tiote's agent confirmed the Newcastle midfielder married a second woman this month, despite living with his first wife in Newcastle