Princess Lilian’s decades-long love story with the king's uncle was one of Sweden's best-known love stories.
She died yesterday aged 97 after an eventful life:
- Born in Swansea, she moved to London at 16 to embark on a career as a model and an actress
- She showcased hats and gloves in commercials
- She met Prince Bertil in 1943 during WWII – he was stationed at the Swedish Embassy in the London as a naval attaché
- His obligations to the throne and Lilian's status as a divorced commoner prevented them from making their love public
- In 1976, some 33 years after they first met, they were finally given approval to get married
More top news
The police officer who shot dead Michael Brown says he has a clear conscience over his actions.
The three-year-old boy was reported to have repeatedly said "mummy shot" after the tragic accident.
A wet and chilly night for many, leading into a cloudy, rainy morning tomorrow. Expect some fog patches.