Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will make a speech today outlining an immigration system that "embodies this nation's instincts and its values". In it, he is expected to:
- Claim to be correcting the mistakes left by Labour government
- Introduce a pilot scheme for security bonds - deposits that can be claimed back when visitors from "high-risk" countries leave
- Promise larger cash fines for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants
- Call for a crackdown on human trafficking by criminal gangs
- Defend the Coalition decision to exclude students from immigration cap
More top news
Regina Murmura was shot dead in front of her husband of 50 years, who tried to get her to hospital but it was too late.
Downpours across southern Britain will journey northwards to affect many places before the end of the day - some intense and thundery.
European court says US-EU treaty allowing transfer of personal data by US companies is invalid due to privacy fears.