Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will make a speech today outlining an immigration system that "embodies this nation's instincts and its values". In it, he is expected to:
- Claim to be correcting the mistakes left by Labour government
- Introduce a pilot scheme for security bonds - deposits that can be claimed back when visitors from "high-risk" countries leave
- Promise larger cash fines for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants
- Call for a crackdown on human trafficking by criminal gangs
- Defend the Coalition decision to exclude students from immigration cap
More top news
Police are attempting to find a vulnerable missing 16-year-old girl who is feared to be with a 51-year-old man.
A "selfish and wicked" mother has been jailed after filling in false paperwork to stop her ex-husband from attending their son's cremation.
As Ireland went to the polls for a key gay marriage referendum, thousands shared their trips home to take part on the #HomeToVote hashtag.