Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will make a speech today outlining an immigration system that "embodies this nation's instincts and its values". In it, he is expected to:
- Claim to be correcting the mistakes left by Labour government
- Introduce a pilot scheme for security bonds - deposits that can be claimed back when visitors from "high-risk" countries leave
- Promise larger cash fines for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants
- Call for a crackdown on human trafficking by criminal gangs
- Defend the Coalition decision to exclude students from immigration cap
More top news
Antonio Pedro De Olivera Alves was sentenced to 11 years in prison in his absence after he fled the UK in 2013.
Belgium police have arrested four people suspected of planning terrorist attacks.
The first trailer for Disney's Beauty and the Beast has become the most-viewed such clip of all time with 91.8m views in 24 hours.