Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will make a speech today outlining an immigration system that "embodies this nation's instincts and its values". In it, he is expected to:
- Claim to be correcting the mistakes left by Labour government
- Introduce a pilot scheme for security bonds - deposits that can be claimed back when visitors from "high-risk" countries leave
- Promise larger cash fines for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants
- Call for a crackdown on human trafficking by criminal gangs
- Defend the Coalition decision to exclude students from immigration cap
More top news
Temperatures tumbling overnight, even more so than the night before.
The threats to the reporters at Independent News and Media were made following two gangland murders in Dublin.
'If God were to suddenly appear? It's something like that' Patrick Pipino wrote in the note to his daughter Isabelle's school.