Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will make a speech today outlining an immigration system that "embodies this nation's instincts and its values". In it, he is expected to:
- Claim to be correcting the mistakes left by Labour government
- Introduce a pilot scheme for security bonds - deposits that can be claimed back when visitors from "high-risk" countries leave
- Promise larger cash fines for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants
- Call for a crackdown on human trafficking by criminal gangs
- Defend the Coalition decision to exclude students from immigration cap
More top news
Police are hunting for a mother who has disappeared with her 10-week-old baby.
The president will restore Denali as the name of the USA's highest mountain, which has been known as Mount McKinley.
More rain forecast in the next 24hours - it is a Bank Holiday after all!