Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will make a speech today outlining an immigration system that "embodies this nation's instincts and its values". In it, he is expected to:
- Claim to be correcting the mistakes left by Labour government
- Introduce a pilot scheme for security bonds - deposits that can be claimed back when visitors from "high-risk" countries leave
- Promise larger cash fines for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants
- Call for a crackdown on human trafficking by criminal gangs
- Defend the Coalition decision to exclude students from immigration cap
More top news
Michael Haines said he wanted to continue his brother's legacy so he would be remembered for his good work rather than his death.
Tomorrow should be a bit quieter in most places, with lighter winds and some lovely winter sunshine.
There will be a widespread frost and ice to watch out for tonight, with some bitterly cold temperatures too.