Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will make a speech today outlining an immigration system that "embodies this nation's instincts and its values". In it, he is expected to:
- Claim to be correcting the mistakes left by Labour government
- Introduce a pilot scheme for security bonds - deposits that can be claimed back when visitors from "high-risk" countries leave
- Promise larger cash fines for employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants
- Call for a crackdown on human trafficking by criminal gangs
- Defend the Coalition decision to exclude students from immigration cap
More top news
Nine people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a shopping centre in Munich - seven of whom were reportedly teenagers.
A plane powered purely by solar power has taken off from Egypt for the final leg of the first ever fuel-free flight around the world.
Animal rights group PETA seizes 'teachable moment', warning Pokémon Go users the game is akin to animal cruelty.