- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
A few showers are expected across the west of Scotland tomorrow but elsewhere high pressure remains in control.
Footage posted to YouTube shows the moving moment a nine-week-old boy hears his mother speak to him for the first time.
The tribute song features in the latest installment of the film franchise, and climbed 21 places to claim the top spot this week.