- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
The 'Let Our Kids Be Kids' campaign wants parents to keep their children off school saying they are "over-tested and over-worked".
Nicky Morgan is expected to defend the proposal when she fields questions at the National Association of Head Teachers' annual conference.
Phone charges in the European Union will drop by about 75 per cent from today as part of an interim cap ahead of a full ban next year.