- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
The prime minister told MPs she was hopeful 'sufficient progress' would be made to move talks on to trade by December.
Common inherited genetic variants that together increase the risk of breast cancer by about a fifth have been identified by scientists.
Iain Duncan Smith has called for the Universal Credit waiting time to be cut from six weeks to a month.