- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
The tourists had no idea they were about to be dropped off at the star-studded ceremony to meet A-listers.
It comes just weeks after actor Michael Keaton confused the names of films Hidden Figures and Fences at the Golden Globes.
All eyes were on the stars as they arrived on the red carpet for the 89th Oscars. But who won in the fashion stakes?