- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
Scotland and Northern Ireland could see rain later but for the rest of the UK it should be a fine day.
Around 31 people are still thought to be missing after the boat sank on a reservoir near the city of Medellin.
Bins were set on fire and objects were thrown at officers as protesters demanded justice for the death of Edir Frederico Da Costa.