- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
A van ploughing into pedestrians in a busy area of Barcelona echoes the circumstances of atrocities that have hit several countries.
Bright & breezy with some showers
ITV News witnesses the devastating aftermath as 600 people remain missing and 300 are confirmed dead.