- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
One estimate suggests that higher mortgage repayments could squeeze hard-pressed householders into debt peril.
Calculate your monthly mortgage repayments if interest rates rise.
Fast-melting Arctic sea ice has forced some 35,000 Pacific walruses to retreat to the Alaska shoreline.