- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
The battle for Saddam Hussein’s hometown will be just one important test for the Iraqi Army as they try to get to Mosul.
A dangerous "charmer" who murdered his girlfriend over an obsession she was having an affair on Facebook has been sentenced to life.
Two suspected illegal immigrants have been detained after one was spotted waving at motorists while sitting on the rear axle of a lorry.