- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
It'll become increasing cloudy tonight, with outbreaks of rain in the northwest
Six months on from the referendum, Political Editor Robert Peston takes a road trip to find out what people feel about Brexit now.
Donald Trump has been criticised for appointing a man who once sued the Environmental Protection Agency to be its new boss.