- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
It's still pretty wintry out there although the air over the next 12 or so hours will be fractionally less cold than it has been recently.
CCTV shows an acrobatic youth as he caused £5,000 worth of damage when he ran across six cars before attempting a handstand on a seventh.
Detectives have released CCTV footage of the moment a machete wielding thug wearing a mask jumped over the counter at a bookmakers.