- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
Cold with some misty cloud by dawn
Mum's across the nation have shared their delight at having actor Tom Hardy read another bedtime story on children's TV channel CBeebies.
Scottish boxer Jordan Coe, 20, was found dead in a heavy tracksuit after apparently trying to lose water weight ahead of a fight.