- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
A similar split set up to today
The Eagles of Death Metal want to be the first to play the Bataclan when it reopens, the lead singer has said in an emotional interview.
Cheap commercial spaceflight took one giant leap closer to reality after Blue Origin successfully landed a rocket - upright - in Texas.