- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
Showers continue to affect eastern areas throughout tomorrow and, later in the day, also across Northern Ireland.
A white police officer has been charged with murder after the shooting of an unarmed black man in the United States.
The actress says she has been alerted to "cruel practices" involved in producing the Birkin, which was named in her honour 31 years ago.