- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
A grieving mother says her faith in humanity is restored after a stolen laptop containing photos of her dying daughter was returned to her.
Rain will ease across central Scotland this morning but it will continue throughout the day across much of Scotland and the north.
An orangutan who has lived in a zoo for the past 20 years, can be granted basic human rights, a court in Argentina has ruled.