- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
One Direction star Niall Horan has taken to Twitter to condemn a group of "fans" sending him abusive messages about his family.
In the latest in an ongoing 'row', Barnaby Joyce said he was the Hollywood actor's Hannibal Lecter, playing games in his mind.
Soldiers and veterans are being encouraged to "take back control" and vote to leave the EU by a number of senior military officers.