- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
Rain expected in the next 24 hours - no surprise there with it being a Bank Holiday - but there'll also be some brighter skies in places.
The presenter's former bandmate failed to impress the judges with his rendition of OneRepublic's Counting Stars.
Girl group 4th Power, a twerking grandmother and a skiving dental receptionist were among the contestants hoping to be the next big thing.