- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
Rain in the southwest of England will gradually spread further north and east.
A four-year-old boy has died after being hit by a car outside a medical centre in Leeds.
The McCanns said they will do "whatever it takes for as long as it takes" to find their daughter, ten years after her disappearance.