- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
A colder start to the day with outbreaks of rain expected across Wales and southern England.
A further 85 buses are expected to arrive on Tuesday and Wednesday, with officials saying the entire operation will last at least a week.
The reality star had filed a defamation lawsuit against celebrity gossip site MediaTakeOut.com.