- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
TOWIE star Mark Wright has tied the knot with Coronation Street actress Michelle Keegan at a lavish ceremony in Bury St Edmunds.
West Ham United have confirmed Sam Allardyce will not continue as their manager next season.
A goalless draw at home to Manchester United condemned Hull to the Championship next season.