- Italian law cannot compel Amanda Knox to return from the US for the new trial
- The court could declare her in contempt, but that carries no additional penalties
- It is unclear what will happen if she is convicted in a new appeals trial, but Italy can seek her extradition
- It would then be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request
- US and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States
More top news
Alex Salmond found himself in a stand-off with airline staff after booking on to a flight under the name James Kirk.
Romelu Lukaku equalised to ensure Everton earned a point after Danny Ings had given Liverpool the lead in a heated derby clash.
Postman suspended as part of probe as hundreds of letters from a Black Country delivery office took two and a half years to arrive.