Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito have been ordered to face retrial for the murder of British exchange student Meredith Kercher.
Meredith's body was found in her apartment in Perugia on November 2, 2007. Here are the key events in the six year saga:
- November 6, 2007: Amanda Knox is arrested along with Raffaele Sollecito, and Diya "Patrick" Lumumba, the owner of a pub Knox occasionally worked. Lumumba released due to lack of evidence.
- December 6, 2007: Ivory coast national Rudy Guede extradited from Germany and arrested upon arrival in Italy
- October 28, 2008: Judge indicts Knox and Sollecito on murder and sexual assault charges. Guede convicted of murder and sexual assault and sentenced to 30 years
- December 4, 2009: Knox and Sollecito found guilty of murder and sexual assualt, sentenced to 25 years.
- November 24, 2010: Appeal trials for Knox and Sollecito open
- June 29, 2011: Independent forensics report finds much of DNA evidence used in trial by prosecution is unreliable
- October 3, 2011: Knox and Sollecito cleared of the murder of Meredith Kercher.
More top news
A man standing trial accused of murdering two pensioners has been found hanging in his prison cell, police say.
Malaysia Airlines' website has been hacked by a group proclaiming support for the so-called Islamic State.
Prince Philip has been awarded a knighthood by Australia - sparking a political row in the country.