Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
A motorist who boasted about clocking 142mph on a motorway shot through a red light and killed another driver the following night.
Holli Cheung said her son Jordan saved her life after she suffered two cardiac arrests while being struck down by a rare virus.
Scientists have finally cracked the mystery and found that cleaner dairies are the reason the holes are disappearing.