Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
The French president has delivered posthumous awards in a national ceremony in Paris as the slain officer's partner appealed for peace.
One mother said she had travelled for hours to celebrate her daughter's 16th birthday, only to miss the gig completely.
The family of a former Royal Navy officer who was killed as thieves stole his car pay tribute to the 'wonderful husband, son, and brother'.