Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
The way the government plans to pay for social housing tenants to buy their homes is "extremely questionable", MPs warn.
Marco Rubio was the man who was going to ride to the Republican party's rescue. What went wrong?
ITV News asked a few of Donald Trump's fans what message his victory in the New Hampshire Republican primary sends to the world.