Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
The UK's biggest ambulance service is to become the first in the country to be placed in special measures.
Footage of an armed burglar crawling on the floor of a couple's bedroom while they slept just feet away has been released by police.
Two police officers escaped unhurt after up to eight shots were fired at their vehicle in Northern Ireland.