Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
The cold weather is set to continue over the next few days with further wintry showers and icy patches, particularly at night.
Some child abuse survivors say they received death threats after MPs published their details online.
Coronation Street has found another actress to play Bethany Platt, after a previous one was dropped for lying about her age.