Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
Jay Oxley was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and had to be put into a coma.
UKIP leader Paul Nuttall is set to contest the Stoke Central by-election later this year according to ITV Central's Political Correspondent
Jeremy Corbyn has accused Theresa May of producing a "bargain basement Brexit" plan and "demeaning" the UK's European standing.