Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
Anything less than a Spurs win at Stamford Bridge tonight will mean Leicester City take the championship.
Parents will be taking their children out of school tomorrow in an unprecedented "strike" against compulsory exams for six-year-olds.
Sam Vokes sealed Burnley's return to the Premier League at the first attempt with a brilliant headed winner against QPR.