Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
Prince Harry's girlfriend Meghan Markle was spotted in the stands at the opening ceremony of the Invictus Games in Toronto.
Soul legend Otis Redding led the tributes to the singer who released his debut album just six years ago at the age of 62.
The shadow home secretary will tell the Labour conference the Tories have pandered to anti-immigrant sentiment and set "bogus" targets.