Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
Outbreaks of rain and strengthening winds will affect southernmost parts of England and Wales today.
An earlier debate on the issue was suspended as an 'expression of support' following the Westminster terror attack.
Five people were killed and dozens more were injured after a car and knife attack in the capital on Wednesday afternoon.