Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
The mother of a 21-year-old woman who died after taking potentially toxic diet pills has warned others to avoid using the drugs.
It's a case of mistaken identity as the actress is forced to differentiate himself from an Irish activist sharing her name
Jeffrey Okafor is accused of murdering 19-year-old Carl Beatson-Asiedu outside a nightclub in south London in 2009. His trial began today.