Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
Leicester City star Jamie Vardy will marry his fiancee Rebekah Nicholson in a lavish ceremony on Wednesday.
Straight-A student Andrew Jones was barred from giving a speech at his graduation because of his school's policy forbidding facial hair.
Taxpayers forced to hang onto the phone while calling HMRC lost the equivalent of £97 million last year, a watchdog has found.