Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
This year's Pride in London event will include a minute's silence to commemorate the victims of the Orlando shooting.
An urgent appeal has been made to help trace the mother of a five-year-old girl who was found alone at a bus stop in Brighton on Friday.
Weight of people trying to sign caused government petition to website to crash as Europhiles try to force a rerun of the EU vote.