Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
A police officer will not face prosecution over the death of Rashan Charles.
Ice is likely to cause tricky travel conditions in parts of England after the UK experienced a weekend of freezing temperatures and snow.
Angela Merkel has taken a step towards forming a cross-party coalition and ending months of political deadlock.