Here are some of Richard Griffiths' most famous roles on screen and stage:
- Hector, the teacher, in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys
- Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter films
- Mr Bayham Badger in the 2005 TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's Bleak House
- Inspector Henry Crabbe, policeman and pie chef, in TV series Pie In The Sky
- Swelter in TV series Gormenghast
- Uncle Monty in film Withnail and I
- Head porter at Caius College in film Chariots of Fire
More top news
Endris Mohammed must serve a minimum of 33 years after killing his two children with a petrol-soaked cloth before trying to kill his wife.
Three people who had been arrested on suspicion of murder have been released without any further action.
Zimbabwe's ruling party is to hold a meeting after Robert Mugabe ignored an ultimatum to resign or face impeachment.