- There are 3m people diagnosed with diabetes in the UK and an estimated 850,000 people who have the condition but don’t know it.
- Some 24,000 people with diabetes die early every year in England and Wales, according to Diabetes UK.
- 19.9% of people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes in England meet health targets for blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol levels, with the number even lower in Wales at 18.5%.
- Out of those in England with Type 1 diabetes only 11.4% are meeting the recommended levels.
- The NHS spends about £10 billion a year on diabetes, some 10% of its entire budget, with 80% of that going on treating complications that could have been prevented in many cases.
Source: Diabetes UK
More top news
The youngsters were found unharmed in a Toyota after it failed to stop on the M25.
Labour is facing the embarrassing prospect of coming third, behind the Conservatives, in the Scottish parliamentary elections.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission is considering publishing an unredacted report of what happened at the Battle of Orgreave.