- There are 3m people diagnosed with diabetes in the UK and an estimated 850,000 people who have the condition but don’t know it.
- Some 24,000 people with diabetes die early every year in England and Wales, according to Diabetes UK.
- 19.9% of people with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes in England meet health targets for blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol levels, with the number even lower in Wales at 18.5%.
- Out of those in England with Type 1 diabetes only 11.4% are meeting the recommended levels.
- The NHS spends about £10 billion a year on diabetes, some 10% of its entire budget, with 80% of that going on treating complications that could have been prevented in many cases.
Source: Diabetes UK
More top news
The triggering of Article 50 has dominated newspaper headlines on Thursday, with many focusing on a possible threat over security by Ms May.
Twelve people have been killed and three injured after a pick-up truck and a church minibus crashed head-on in Texas.
Revenge porn offenders who attempt to magnify their targets' humiliation will face the toughest penalties under new sentencing proposals.