The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) have outlined a set of basic standards for dementia patients.
As part of the guide, dementia patients should expect to;
- Discuss concerns with someone with knowledge and expertise.
- Be involved in making choices and decisions about their care and support.
- Take part in a review of their needs and preferences when their circumstances change.
- Choose to take part in leisure activities which match their interests.
- Continue to meet their friends and family and make new relationships.
- Have routine check-ups of their physical and mental health and see healthcare professionals when they have concerns.
- Live in housing that is adapted to help them maintain their independence.
- Be involved in and influence the design, planning, evaluation and delivery of services.
- Have help from independent advocacy servicesto present their views.
- Continue to be involved in and contribute to their community.
More top news
Thousands of soldiers who died in the Battle of the Somme will be remembered today at commemoration events across the UK and France.
Soliciting of clients by sex workers should no longer be a crime, according to new recommendations made by Home Affairs Select committee.
Theresa May's bid to become Tory leader has won the backing of senior cabinet ministers including Michael Fallon and Patrick McLoughlin.