The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) have outlined a set of basic standards for dementia patients.
As part of the guide, dementia patients should expect to;
- Discuss concerns with someone with knowledge and expertise.
- Be involved in making choices and decisions about their care and support.
- Take part in a review of their needs and preferences when their circumstances change.
- Choose to take part in leisure activities which match their interests.
- Continue to meet their friends and family and make new relationships.
- Have routine check-ups of their physical and mental health and see healthcare professionals when they have concerns.
- Live in housing that is adapted to help them maintain their independence.
- Be involved in and influence the design, planning, evaluation and delivery of services.
- Have help from independent advocacy servicesto present their views.
- Continue to be involved in and contribute to their community.
More top news
Sleet and snow for some parts of Scotland. Elsewhere in the UK will be cold, cloudy and with some showers.
At least 52 people have been killed after a fight broke out between two rival drugs gangs in a Mexico prison.
Lord Coe has accused Nestle of hypocrisy following its decision to withdraw sponsorship from the IAAF Kids' Athletics Programme.