The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) have outlined a set of basic standards for dementia patients.
As part of the guide, dementia patients should expect to;
- Discuss concerns with someone with knowledge and expertise.
- Be involved in making choices and decisions about their care and support.
- Take part in a review of their needs and preferences when their circumstances change.
- Choose to take part in leisure activities which match their interests.
- Continue to meet their friends and family and make new relationships.
- Have routine check-ups of their physical and mental health and see healthcare professionals when they have concerns.
- Live in housing that is adapted to help them maintain their independence.
- Be involved in and influence the design, planning, evaluation and delivery of services.
- Have help from independent advocacy servicesto present their views.
- Continue to be involved in and contribute to their community.
More top news
Former Oasis star Liam Gallagher has announced that his latest band 'Beady Eye' has split up but did not say why they are calling it a day.
Mike Tindall has agreed a settlement with Express Newspapers over a story about his marriage to Zara Phillips.
The Met Office is warning of persistent heavy rainfall in western Scotland possibly leading to localised flooding.