- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Relations between the Royal family and the Chinese have not always been friendly - but William's visit is helping build bridges.
Vicky Worrall was stunned when she opened her Friday snack to find the huge crisp which is nearly 5 inches long and she is now selling it.
A teenager has been jailed at Hull Crown Court after throwing bleach into the face of an aspiring model