- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Temperatures tumbling in the clear skies
Police have launched an investigation and are trying to establish the age of the baby and how long the body has been in the drain.
Anubis was found wandering the streets of Cairo in Egypt but is now starting a new life with his owners in El Paso, Texas.