- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
The trial of a soldier accused of trying to kill his wife with a sabotaged parachute has been shown video of how it could be done.
An ITV News investigation has uncovered the staggering scale of disruption caused by over-running roadworks across the country.
Cloudy and mild tonight with cloudy skies again for most of us tomorrow.