- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Thousands of Ethiopian Jews have taken to the streets of Tel Aviv to protest against racism and police brutality
Temperatures will be on the warm side tomorrow as much of the country looks forward to a fine bright start to the day.
Welsh international rugby league player Danny Jones has died today after collapsing during a match.