- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
US dance duo The Chainsmokers surprised hundreds of students by gate-crashing their prom in the US.
Hundreds of George Micheal fans have paid tribute to the iconic singer at the first public memorial for the pop star.
Seven Ukrainian men have been arrested after a boat containing suspected illegal immigrants ran ashore in high winds off the Suffolk coast