- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
One Direction star Niall Horan has taken to Twitter to condemn a group of "fans" sending him abusive messages about his family.
In the latest in an ongoing 'row', Barnaby Joyce said he was the Hollywood actor's Hannibal Lecter, playing games in his mind.
Soldiers and veterans are being encouraged to "take back control" and vote to leave the EU by a number of senior military officers.