- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
The Bank of England has launched a secret project looking at the economic risk to Britain if the country votes to leave the European Union.
The actress and The Only Way Is Essex star Mark Wright will become husband and wife over the Bank Holiday weekend.
The annual event has earned a place in the record books ahead of the grand final of the 60th anniversary show in Austria this evening.