- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
A soaking then sunshine this weekend
As Hungary prepares to vote in a referendum on the EU's resettlement of refugees, thousands of migrants remain in limbo on the border.
The promotional video features a 'Game of Thrones' soundtrack and a range of landmarks but fails to show parts of the city destroyed by war.