- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Birmingham children's services is under the spotlight again after the death of the toddler at the hands of her legal guardian.
A chilly evening and night with clear skies and tomorrow a little more cloud through Scotland and Northern Ireland again.
Researchers believe the new technique could help improve the chances of IVF, of which only around one in four attempts are successful.