- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
London school leavers are around 25% more likely to go into higher education than their peers across England, new Ucas data has revealed.
The PM will stress that despite being upbeat on a final settlement being reached, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.
The Made In Chelsea star lasted three weeks in the ITV show, and was visibly shocked as presenters Ant and Dec announced she had won.