- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
The live stage version of Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights has reportedly been cancelled after actor Ted Robbins collapsed on opening night.
The much-loved local character, who had lived on the city's streets for decades, died in hospital this week after falling ill.
Man City remain five points behind Chelsea in the Premier League title race after a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge