- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Parents Jay and Kateri Schwandt did not want to know the sex of their latest child before his birth.
Windrush immigrants Sonia Williams and Glenda Caesar are the first two cases to be resolved by the Home Office task force.
Priyanka Chopra wrote of how the compassionate royal bride-to-be cares deeply for the world