- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
The pensioner made arrangements with undercover agents to have sex with a nine-year-old boy in California.
Up to 30 people have been found dead in an Italian hotel that was hit by an avalanche following a trio of earthquakes on Wednesday.
Two British athletes have rowed the Atlantic setting a new record for completing what is dubbed the world's toughest row.