- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Around 40% of workers admitted to working despite being too sick for the office, a survey has revealed.
High street stores con customers by offering "discounts" which offer little to no savings - and may end up costing more, Which? has claimed.
Britain has claimed victory over Germany in a special football match marking 100 years since the near-legendary WWI Christmas truce match.