- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Labour's Chuka Umunna urged his party to unite around its new leader in an apparent offer of reconciliation to left-winger Jeremy Corbyn.
Britain's ugliest building is the Walkie Talkie in London, according to a public vote.
Britain's stance over taking in more refugees could hurt David Cameron's EU reform plans, a spokesman for Angela Merkel's alliance has said.