- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Team Sky's Chris Froome is set to win the 2016 Tour de France with an overall lead of four minutes 11 seconds after stage 20 to Morzine
The attempted kidnap of an RAF serviceman took place near RAF Marham, in Norfolk, on Wednesday.
Footballer Marc Crosas faces an investigation after pictures emerged of him appearing to have speared an endangered baby shark