- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Sir Gerald Kaufman Labour MP for Manchester Gorton and Father of The House of Commons has died aged 86, a family spokesman said.
A very unsettled start to the new week with heavy, thundery, occasionally wintry showers spreading in from the west throughout the day.
It had been reported that four domain names which appeared to support Clive Lewis for Labour leader were registered in June last year.