- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Little Sophia Williams died in a children's hospital in Edinburgh on June 5.
Dry spells over parts of Scotland in the next few days and remain dry. More rain in the north. Temperature will remain mild.
The world's largest aircraft crashed on its second test flight - despite only going 5mph.