- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
A hapless burglar has died from smoke inhalation and thermal burns after getting stuck in a chimney while trying to rob a house.
From the canals of Venice to a remote island in the Pacific Ocean, the effects of climate change are worryingly visible across the globe.
Singer posted on Facebook that she had taken an overdose and hidden in a hotel.