- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
“We’re going to keep families together and the border is going to be just as tough as it’s been,” the president told the crowd.
Jean-Claude Juncker will meet Leo Varadkar and attend an official dinner hosted by the Irish Taoiseach at Dublin Castle.
“Shocking” revelations over deaths at a hospital lead most of the papers.