- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
A photo of David Cameron, Barack Obama, Francois Hollande, Angela Merkel and Matteo Renzi demonstrates just how much the world has changed.
The soap's festive plotline will focus on Lee, played by Danny-Boy Hatchard, buckle under the pressure of spiralling debts and depression.
Announcing appointments, criticising the press and accusing other countries of unfair trade practices, Donald Trump cannot stop tweeting.