- Trident is a sea-based ballistic missile system that comprises the UK’s nuclear deterrent.
- It can be fired at targets up to 7000 miles away.
- At its fastest, each missile can travel at over 13,000 miles per hour.
- Four Vanguard nuclear submarines can carry 16 missiles each.
- Their power is estimated as the equivalent of eight Hiroshima nuclear bombs.
- From 2028, the Vanguards will be replaced by Successor submarines.
- The submarine replacement is estimated to cost between £15bn and £25bn.
Source: Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence
More top news
Labour leadership contender Owen Smith has called his rival Jeremy Corbyn a "lunatic" at a rally.
A 6.2 magnitude earthquake has left at least 10 people dead and caused destruction in central Italy.
Airstrikes were launched into Syria and tanks reportedly sent in as Turkey targets militants threatening its border.