As major changes to disability benefits begin to come into force in the North of England today, the latest Index poll conducted by ComRes for ITV News reveals that the British public is deeply divided over the benefit reforms:
- Two in five (41%) of the British public support the changes
- one in three (36%) oppose them
- one in four (23%) are undecided
The public think the changes being made to welfare system are necessary to make work pay (51%) but are divided over whether or not they are fair:
- 42% feel that that the changes made to the welfare system by the Coalition are unfair
- 40% disagree
- 18% do not know whether changes are unfair or not.