Baroness Thatcher is Britain's most popular prime minister since the Second World War, eclipsing even Sir Winston Churchill, according to a YouGov/Sun poll.
The survey of 1,893 adults revealed:
- 28% of people named Thatcher as the best of the 13 prime ministers since 1945.
- Sir Winston was in second place with 24% of the vote, and Tony Blair in third with 10%.
- Nearly half of those polled (48%) felt she left Britain economically better off, 60% felt she left it more respected in the world.
- 51% believed she created more opportunities for women, 36% declared she left society more free, and 49% said she left a less equal society.
- 50% of people back her being given a full ceremonial funeral at St Paul's Cathedral next week - the rest disagree or simply do not know what to think.