Runner Darren Foy, 40, from Southampton and his wife Sandra and their two children missed the explosions by just 30 minutes after he finished the marathon in three and half hours.
Speaking from the city, the chartered surveyor said:
We were on our way home when we heard something had happened and I was getting messages like 'are you Ok?' which I never get. It's all quite shocking really.
We got home and we looked at the BBC online and saw there had been explosions but we are OK because I finished in three and a half hours and we were on the bus when it happened.
We are staying five miles outside and I'm not intending to go back into the city for a few days.
It's such a soft target. There are hundreds of thousands spectators on the streets and 27,000 runners, so we got off lightly.
More top news
Donald Trump said on Saturday that conversations about a potential summit were ‘going along very well’.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has suggested the FIA have thrown his team 'under the bus' after deciding not to penalise Ferrari.
The Team Sky cyclist took the lead in the past few days and confirmed his place as the first British winner of the Giro d'Italia