The rises to minimum wages announced today are still below the rate of inflation.
This means that someone earning the new rate will still be making less money in real terms because the prices of goods and services are rising more quickly.
The minimum wage increases are as follows:
- Adult minimum wage - 1.9% increase
- 18-20-year-old minimum wage - 1% increase
- 16-17-year-old minimum wage - 1.1% increase
- Apprentice minimum wage - 1.1% increase
And the current rate of inflation is:
- Consumer Prices Index (CPI) - 2.8% per year
- Retail Prices Index (RPI) - 3.2% per year
More top news
Rain will clear eastwards through Sunday but it will remain blustery.
Donald Trump has indicated he does not intend to block the release of thousands of secret files about the assassination of John F Kennedy.
Storm Brian will track off into the north sea later tonight. Blustery tomorrow.