The rises to minimum wages announced today are still below the rate of inflation.
This means that someone earning the new rate will still be making less money in real terms because the prices of goods and services are rising more quickly.
The minimum wage increases are as follows:
- Adult minimum wage - 1.9% increase
- 18-20-year-old minimum wage - 1% increase
- 16-17-year-old minimum wage - 1.1% increase
- Apprentice minimum wage - 1.1% increase
And the current rate of inflation is:
- Consumer Prices Index (CPI) - 2.8% per year
- Retail Prices Index (RPI) - 3.2% per year
More top news
A new report into grooming gangs who preyed on hundreds of young women and girls found perpetrators were consistently left unpunished.
The actor shared a video on Twitter in which he said he has undergone surgery for prostate cancer and "it all seemed to go pretty well".
The Mummy actor said he became a recluse after he was alleging groped by former Golden Globes president Philip Berk.