A committee set up by the Department of Health in the wake of the PIP breast implant scandal has recommended the following changes:
- Those who provide cosmetic procedures should undergo formal qualifications.
- People who inject fillers should also be signed up to a register.
- GPs should be informed of treatments so if something goes wrong they know what to treat.
- There should be a ban of financial offers for cosmetic surgery.
- Procedures must be approved by a surgeon and not a salesperson.
- A fund to help patients should a cosmetic surgery company go bust.
- There should be compulsory insurance in case a procedure goes wrong.
More top news
Hurricane Maria is currently pummelling Puerto Rico with 155mph winds after already leaving at least nine people dead in the Caribbean.
Two men have been seriously injured after a gas explosion on an industrial estate.
The two top figures in the far-right group have been charged over leaflets and videos distributed in May.