These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Union leaders and officials from a range of campaign groups will address demonstrators as Conservative party conference gets under way.
Teachers union says workload, pay and low morale drive educators away from the profession.
Prime minister says he will 'beef up' special force and boost the use of drones in fight against terror group.