These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
The outgoing Scottish Labour leader is reportedly a last-minute addition to the line up for the TV show.
Thousands of people have gathered in Harare as Zimbabweans prepare to protest against the rule of Robert Mugabe.
A look ahead to the weather forecast for today across the UK.