These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
The Queen celebrates her 89th birthday today - but will she get to share it with her new great-grandchild?
Phil Rudd also pleaded guilty to possessing crystal meth and marijuana in a New Zealand court.
Ed Miliband will order an emergency recruitment drive of nurses so an extra 20,000 will be working in the NHS by 2020.