These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Giraffes could disappear from the planet if current rates of extinction continue, it has been warned.
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has been filmed accusing British ally Saudi Arabia of "puppeteering" in the Middle East.
Psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia may be linked to immune system disorders, research has found - opening up new treatments.