These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
A backbench revolt over proposals to ease purdah restrictions on the EU referendum has led to a government climb down.
It's been a colder start to the day, especially in rural areas of Britain.
A viral video in which a French woman claimed she was trying to find the father of her baby has been confirmed as a hoax.