These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Prince William and Kate have announced they are to become 'full-time' Royals as they move their family back to London from Norfolk.
Jobs for Americans, a strengthened military, new trade deals and support for police will shape Donald Trump's four years in government.
Donald Trump pledged to put "America first" as he addressed the nation after being sworn in as the 45th president of the United States.