These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
The amendment on keeping the UK in some kind of Customs Union will be a key test of Theresa May’s fragile Parliamentary authority.
Northeastern parts of the UK will have another day of cooler conditions under cloudy skies.
The vice minister of foreign affairs criticised the comments as “ignorant”.