These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Donald Trump is predicted to win the crucial Republican Indiana primary, US media have projected.
Three BT broadband adverts have been banned because of misleading claims about its quality compared with Virgin Media and Sky.
iPhone users are being targeted by a new scam asking customers for their personal details.