These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
One iPhone 6 customer has learned the hard way that speed is not always of the essence when attempting to liberate his new Apple gadget.
Their relief of Scottish banks, estate agents and other businesses this morning is obvious after the country voted to stay in the UK.
The referendum story is rapidly heading south. Scottish voters were promised more power - now English and Welsh voters ask "what about us?"