These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
A wintry start to the weekend
A teacher has died after being hit by a dislodged manhole cover which smashed through her windscreen.
A dog has been found with its paws frozen to the ground in a New York park after being chained to a tree.