These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Rain for the northwest, dry and cold elsewhere
Rejecting a showdown with Ed Miliband, David Cameron's terms sent to broadcasters reveal his deep dissatisfaction with the debate proposals.
The owners of what some people claim to be the 'Welsh Holy Grail' are offering a cash reward for the ancient artefact's safe return.