These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
If Number 10 announces it plans to hold a vote on airstrikes in Syria, the planners in the MoD might as well get to work straight away.
The number of children dying from cancer in the UK each year is falling, according to new figures from a major charity.
A mother who poked fun at a clothing company's portrayal of a woman getting out Christmas decorations has won thousands of supporters.