These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Clear skies allowed a satellite image to be taken, showing snow in the Pennines, north Midlands, Northern Ireland and Scotland yesterday.
Molly Smith, 5, won £500 after her accidental selfie with a snowman caught the attention of competition judges.
Harry Street, formerly Barry Williams, shot dead five people in a spree across the West Midlands in 1978.