These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Could the Internet hold the key to easing the burden on our overstretched health service? Dr Oscar Duke reports for Tonight.
An agreement that Syria's Idlib province should be a safe haven is being ignored by its own government, writes John Irvine.
Clear, crisp & freezing cold with fresh falls of snow