These are the main changes that will be implemented across all prisons in the UK:
- Movement up the levels will depend on "positive engagement" - not the absence of bad behaviour
- A new 'entry' level for all new prisoners
- All convicted prisoners will work a longer day
- Ban on watching TV while prisoners should be working
- Gym access beyond the statutory entitlement will be dependent on active engagement with rehabilitation
- Subscription channels removed from private prisons
- Certificate 18 DVDs banned from prisons
Source: Ministry of Justice
More top news
Low pressure remaining in control gives more unsettled weather for the UK this weekend.
Charlie Gard, the baby boy whose fight for life captured the attention of the world has died, his family has confirmed.
A Royal Marine who lived a "dangerous double life" as a terrorist bomb-maker claims he faked Irish Republican sympathies out of fear.