- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
Odense zoo plans to publicly dissect a year-old lion - undeterred by outrage at giraffe who was killed in Copenhagen last year.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met young people who have battled mental health issues on Saturday.
Former Chancellor Lord Geoffrey Howe was Margaret Thatcher's longest-serving Cabinet minister, also taking on the role of Foreign Secretary.