- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
The late Coronation Street actress Anne Kirkbride has been nominated for a British Soap Award.
The NHS could save millions of pounds by allowing more people with a terminal illness to die at home as most wished to do, a charity said.
A self-testing kit for HIV which promises a result in 15 minutes has gone on sale in the UK.