- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
Drinking three to five cups of coffee a day could reduce the risk of clogged arteries and thus heart attacks, a study has found.
There are five million British expats across the globe. Many have a vested interest in May's election and many still have the right to vote.
Abba's Bjorn Ulvaeus has a boyish enthusiasm for the cashless society - and he has a challenge for ITV News viewers.