- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
Thousands of people have lined the banks of the Mersey to see Cunard's three flagship ocean liners sail down the river.
Claims that surgeons used an old saw found in a cupboard to amputate a patient's leg are being investigated.
A woman who has battled anorexia for more than a decade has released a heartbreaking video pleading for help in fighting the disease.