- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
Phone charges in the European Union will drop by about 75 per cent from today as part of an interim cap ahead of a full ban next year.
Councils in England and Wales wants compulsory flood-proofing measures put in place for new homes and businesses in at risk areas.
The Duke of Cambridge has paid tribute to the veteran broadcaster in a special programme ahead of his 90th birthday on May 8.