- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
Dame Helen Mirren was forced to improvise during an awards acceptance speech as mic slips to down to half her height.
The Duchess will carry out her first engagement as Honorary Air Commandant of the Air Cadets after assuming the role in December.
Stars will entertain an audience of more than 100 million as they take to the Super Bowl half-time stage.