- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
Facebook says it will start test flights later this year of a solar-powered drone that aims to provide remote areas with the internet.
Children's charity Kids Company is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police over criminal allegations.
A senior employee at a 4-star London hotel has been jailed for six years for raping a man who he lured to a fake job interview.