- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
The tranquil district of Hart has been crowned as the place with the best quality of life in the UK for the fourth year in a row.
Britain's immigration system is in 'critical condition' according to the chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee.
Showers across Britain will make way for sunshine tomorrow before a milder end to the weekend, though heavy rain will return in the north.