- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
More top news
An actor from hit US series 'Glee' has been indicted on child porn charges, federal prosecutors said.
At least eight of the injured are said to be children who are thought to have been attending a birthday party at the Parc Monceau.
A competitive motorcyclist has died in a collision during a pre-TT race on the Isle of Man.