Labour's Emma Lewell-Buck has won the South Shields parliamentary by-election, with the United Kingdom Independence Party's Richard Elvin coming second.
- Emma Lewell-Buck, Labour - 12,493
- Richard Elvin, UKIP - 5,988
- Karen Allen, Conservatives - 2,857
- Ahmed Khan, Independent candidate - 1,311
- Phil Brown, Independent Socialist Party - 750
- Lady Dorothy MacBeth Brookes, BNP - 711
- Hugh Annand, Lib Dems - 352
- Howling Laud Hope, Monster Raving Loony Party - 197
- Thomas Darwood, Independent candidate - 57
The result gives Labour a majority of 6,505 after claiming over 50 per cent of the vote.
Electorate 62,979; turnout 24,736 (39.28%, -18.42%).
More top news
Sunshine in short supply
A man has died after his head was crushed in a freak accident involving an electronic seat at Vue Cinema in Star City, Birmingham.
Is it possible to have micro-targeting and the use of detailed psychological profiling in political campaigns?