Labour's Emma Lewell-Buck has won the South Shields parliamentary by-election, with the United Kingdom Independence Party's Richard Elvin coming second.
- Emma Lewell-Buck, Labour - 12,493
- Richard Elvin, UKIP - 5,988
- Karen Allen, Conservatives - 2,857
- Ahmed Khan, Independent candidate - 1,311
- Phil Brown, Independent Socialist Party - 750
- Lady Dorothy MacBeth Brookes, BNP - 711
- Hugh Annand, Lib Dems - 352
- Howling Laud Hope, Monster Raving Loony Party - 197
- Thomas Darwood, Independent candidate - 57
The result gives Labour a majority of 6,505 after claiming over 50 per cent of the vote.
Electorate 62,979; turnout 24,736 (39.28%, -18.42%).
More top news
Turning wet and windy from the west overnight.
The former shadow business secretary Clive Lewis made the comments at an event backed by Momentum.
Look up to the sky this weekend, and you might catch sight of one of the greatest natural spectacles of the year: The Orionid meteor shower.