Measures expected to be announced when the Queen sets out the Government's legislative programme include:
- An Immigration Bill giving strengthened powers to deport foreign criminals by preventing the abuse of human rights laws. The Bill will also enable more substantial fines to be imposed on businesses exploiting illegal labour.
- A National Insurance Contributions Bill implementing the Budget commitment to cut the cost of recruiting new employees.
- A Consumer Rights Bill covering goods, services, digital content and unfair contract terms.
- A Deregulation Bill to cut red tape for firms looking to grow.
- A Social Care Bill to cap care costs, so pensioners will not have to sell their homes.
- A Pensions Bill to create a flat-rate pension, which ministers claim will encourage saving and help women who have had long career breaks.