Advertisement

  1. National

Briton 'poison gin' death

A Briton has died after reportedly drinking poisoned alcohol during a trek in the Indonesian jungle. The woman, named in reports as Cheznye Emmons, is said to have fallen ill after drinking from a bottle labelled "gin" bought from a local shop.

View all 2 updates ›

Briton died after reportedly drinking 'poisoned alcohol'

A Briton has died after reportedly drinking poisoned alcohol during a trek in the Indonesian jungle.

The woman, named in reports as Cheznye Emmons, is said to have fallen ill after drinking from a bottle labelled "gin" bought from a local shop.

We can confirm the death of a British national in Indonesia and we are providing consular assistance to the family at this difficult time."

– Foreign Office spokesman

Two other travellers also had health problems after consuming the drink, which turned out to be filled with methanol, which is poisonous and causes kidney failure, blindness, seizures and death.

More top news