1. National

Briton 'poison gin' death

A Briton has died after reportedly drinking poisoned alcohol during a trek in the Indonesian jungle. The woman, named in reports as Cheznye Emmons, is said to have fallen ill after drinking from a bottle labelled "gin" bought from a local shop.

View all 2 updates ›

Woman 'lost her sight' after drinking methanol

Reports in The Telegraph and The Mirror said that within days of drinking the methanol a woman, reported as reports as Cheznye Emmons, complained that she had lost her sight.

She went through the jungle to the nearest eye clinic, and was referred to a hospital in Sumatra, where she was placed in an induced coma.

Her parents flew to her bedside and made the decision to turn off her life support machine.

Indonesia has an alcohol tax of more than 200% on some products, which leads locals to brew their own home-made spirits.Methanol is a by-product of poor distillation techniques.

More top news