An ITV News Index poll has revealed that the majority of the public agree there is a link between viewing online abuse images and committing child abuse crimes. The figures show:
- 79% of the public agree that there us a link between viewing online abuse images and crimes committed against children by those viewing images of child abuse
- 71% of those interviewed believe the Government should filter out all pornographic content, unless people specifically opt-in
- 41% of people agree it is impossible for national governments to police availability of child abuse images
- 49% think indecent images of children are more common than they were 5 years ago
- 69% think children in the UK are less safe as a result of the spread of indecent images of children online
Technology giants and the Government have agreed a new approach to tackling online child abuse images.
A former Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre chief is sceptical about what the summit to tackle child abuse images will achieve.
The volume of images of child abuse may have grown slowly, but their numbers now represent a change of a horrifying nature.