A new £27 million museum will open tomorrow, bringing together the wreck of the Mary Rose gunship with thousands of its artefacts for the first time since they were taken from the seabed more than 30 years ago.
Designed by Wilkinson Eyre architects, the "jewellery box" centre has been described as creating a snapshot of Tudor life every bit as vivid as Pompeii summons up Roman times.
Undiscovered on the seabed of the Solent for centuries, the ship sank off Portsmouth, Hampshire, in full view of Henry VIII during battle with the French on July 19 1545.
Its exposed timbers were seen by divers in 1971, which led to extensive excavations, supported by Prince Charles.
A new £27 million museum housing the wreck of the Mary Rose has opened in Portsmouth in the same place where the ship was built in 1510.
The latest chapter in the history of Henry VIII's flagship, built more than 500 years ago, will see the opening of the new Mary Rose Museum.