The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
The Syrian city of Raqqa has been liberated from Islamic State militants, a senior commander for a US-backed force has said.
Paranoid schizophrenic Jeffrey Barry stabbed Kamil Ahmad before removing his penis in the attack at his flat in Bristol last year.
The latest addition to the royal family will be a younger brother or sister for Prince George and Princess Charlotte.