The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
The helicopter, which the royal was not in at the time, avoided a potentially deadly mid-air crash.
The shots on a bus sparked a major security scare as weekend tourists in some of the world's most famous casinos were told to bunker down.
The Ukip leader confirmed he had "no prior warning" of Douglas Carswell's resignation from the party as he hit out at the "staunch Tory".