The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Taking money from the rich to give to the poor is a debate as old as Nottingham's mythic son, so why are people still so divided on welfare?
An unsettled weekend of weather is in store as conditions turn wet and windy from the west tonight.
Seventy pupils at the Grange School in Runcorn were held in isolation for refusing to remove Marie Curie daffodils from their blazers.