The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Paul Burrell, the former butler to Princess Diana, will enter the Celebrity Big Brother house tonight as part of a new task.
Simon Cowell has the Overs category while Cheryl Fernandez-Versini will be mentoring the Groups.
The author of the new James Bond novel has apologised after he said that British actor Idris Elba is "too street" to play the spy.