The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Jeremy Corbyn has challenged Theresa May to better fund the police and fire services by backing a Labour amendment to the Queen's Speech.
All 33 London councils were warned about "combustible" panels being used on buildings which could potentially spread blazes.
It happened at a rail depot near Daventry in Northamptonshire.