The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Paramedics were called to reports of an unresponsive baby girl on a bus in east London - she later died in hospital.
Government ministers from the UK, France and China attended the event.
Tonight investigates the increasingly sophisticated methods criminals are using to target the elderly and defraud them of their savings.