The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
F1's governing body was paid $5 million after it signed a contract with the sport which favours the top teams, ITV News has discovered.
When the Queen arrives for the State Opening of Parliament in June she won't be wearing her crown, dress in robes or arrive in a carriage.
A little more sunshine in store