The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Emergency services rushed to the scene to douse the flames, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.
A motion to remove John Bercow from his position as Speaker of the House of Commons is struggling to find support.
Familial hypercholesterolaemia causes abnormally high levels of cholesterol, increasing the risk of a heart attack at a young age.