The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
A grandmother says she was outraged after her grandson was segregated from his classmates by a cardboard screen - for being one minute late.
Leaked documents have revealed the first known picture of Mohammed Emwazi - named as IS militant Jihadi John - as a student in London.
With March just around the corner it's looking like this winter will be the sunniest on record (data goes back to 1929).