The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Christian Hickey, seven, was shot on the doorstep of his home, now he is asking Santa to help police catch the people who hurt him.
A man accused of stabbing his father to death during a row over food has been arrested by police.
The UK's biggest ambulance service is to become the first in the country to be placed in special measures.