The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Harvey Weinstein, health and a plot to fix an England cricket match are on the front pages.
The president welcomed the North’s conciliatory response to his Thursday letter withdrawing from the summit.
About half of the approximately 7,000 civilians who worked for the British in Afghanistan were interpreters.