The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
In his first major speech this year, Mark Carney said the falling currency will eventually weigh on wages and consumer spending.
Cloudy skies limiting the sunshine
International Great Britain triathlete Eleanor Penrose was taken to an A&E department twice in the space of 24 hours in August 2015.