The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
One of the greatest sporting events on earth gets underway this week as the Ryder Cup heads to Scotland, here's everything you need to know
A toddler was in need of an unusual rescue after she got a kettle stuck on her head while playing at home in Chile.
British Defence Secretary Michael Fallon is in the Middle East to gather support for the international military campaign against IS.