The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Tonight will start off clear in many areas, but cloud will increase from the east overnight, bringing some light and patchy rain.
Defending champions Arsenal squeezed into the FA Cup final despite a spirited fightback from Reading, who forced extra-time
A detective who led investigations into the Valley Parade fire tells ITV News there is "unequivocal" evidence the disaster was an accident.