The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
A new study has found that if GPs talk to patients for just 30 seconds about their weight, there could be some beneficial results.
The "EdStone" stone tablet bearing Ed Miliband's 2015 election pledges has helped land Labour a £20,000 fine.
Jose 'Gil' Vega was months away from retirement when he was murdered and always took his daughter to school on the first day of term.