The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
An owner says his video shows one of his pet dogs crying and mourning the death of other pet.
New study says migrant voters could have a "decisive" impact in a range of key marginal seats in the forthcoming general election.
Andy Murray will play world number one Novak Djokovic in Sunday's Australian Open final after the Serbian beat Stan Wawrinka in five sets