The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Theresa May has said there is "no place in our politics" for intimidation after Tory Brexit rebel MPs received death threats and abuse.
All workers over 18 will save into a workplace pension unless they opt out under plans to lower the qualifying age of auto-enrolment.
South Africa's ruling ANC party, the party of Nelson Mandela, has never been so divided nor mired in scandal.