The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
New Tour de France time-trial record set after Australian Rohan Dennis raced into the lead during Stage one of the competition.
Fresher and cooler as we head into the second half of the weekend.
Leah Washington, 17, had to have her left leg amputated after being trapped for hours on The Smiler rollercoaster at the theme park.