The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Marks and Spencer will become the first UK retailer to add vitamin D to its entire packaged bread range.
An over-the-top 80's action movie parody featuring kung fu Hitler and a David Hasselhoff soundtrack gets almost four million views online.
The government is treating the fight against obesity as a priority, as a new report cautions that one in five cancer deaths is caused by it.