The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Food prices will rise across the UK unless EU workers are allowed to remain as part of the Brexit negotiations, industry bosses have warned.
A north / south split in conditions tomorrow. Remaining mild
Polluting cars and vans could be permanently blocked from the French metropolis if it keeps to its mayor's recent clean-air commitments.