The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Phone charges in the European Union will drop by about 75 per cent from today as part of an interim cap ahead of a full ban next year.
Councils in England and Wales wants compulsory flood-proofing measures put in place for new homes and businesses in at risk areas.
The Duke of Cambridge has paid tribute to the veteran broadcaster in a special programme ahead of his 90th birthday on May 8.