The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
The beleaguered Labour Party leader is clinging onto power in the face of as many as 150 MPs voting to remove him from the top job today.
Mr Osborne said he is "not the person to provide the unity my party needs".
Actress Lena Dunham has criticised Kanye West's "disturbing" new music video for depicting a host of naked celebrities in bed together.