The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Kate Middleton attended a special service to celebrate the landmark occasion in her first engagement as Honorary Air Commandant
The ISIS execution gang fronted by 'Jihadi John' had two British extremists who learned radical Islam together in London, ITV News reveals.
Today started quite promising for many, largely dry and sunny.