The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Stars have vented their frustration over Sony's decision, with Rob Lowe comparing it to Neville Chamberlain caving in to Hitler.
Derby was unable to play with other dogs after being born with severely deformed front legs - but can now run freely.
The judge said the 14-year-old had been subject to a great injustice. He was executed for the murder of two little girls in 1944.