The government has announced a raft of new proposals that gives communities the chance to stop wind farms being built in their area.
Here is a look at how important wind turbines are for the UK's energy supply:
- Onshore wind provided 3% of the UK's electricity supplies in 2011.
- That generated enough power for the equivalent of 2.5 million homes.
- More than 4,000 wind turbines are in operation across the country.
- Almost 6,000 are under or awaiting construction or in the planning system.
- The industry attracted £1.6 billion in private investment in 2011/2012.
- It supports approximately 1,800 jobs.
More top news
Shira Banki, 16, died on Sunday of stab wounds sustained when an ultra-Orthodox Jew attacked a Gay Pride parade in Jerusalem.
HSBC has reported a 10% rise in profits for the first half of the year - boosted by bumper profits in Hong Kong.
Barnado's has received £3 million to tackle child sex abuse in Rotherham, nearly a year after the Jay Report was released.