Data obtained under the Freedom of Information Act showed 39,883 recorded incidents of all kinds of physical restraint in mental health trusts during 2011/12:
- Surrey and Borders NHS Foundation Trust reported just 38 incidents over the year while Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust reported 3,346.
- Figures for overall physical restraint incidents, including face-down incidents, were compiled from answers provided by 51 mental trusts.
- More than half of the responding trusts, or 27, said 3,439 of the incidents were of face-down restraint, a potentially life-threatening form of restraint.
- Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust recorded 923 incidents of face-down restraint and Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust 810,
- A separate survey of 375 frontline healthcare staff involved, showed almost a quarter, 22%, had not had face-to-face training on physical restraint techniques.
- More than four in ten, or 42% said that with hindsight, they felt that restraint.
More top news
A man in the 40s was killed in southern Poland and a further 33 people injured in Germany.
There will be plenty of sunny spells but showers may make their way across Wales, Northern Ireland and western Scotland.
The station's decision not to renew the former London mayor's contract follows his controversial comment about Hitler supported Zionism.