Data obtained under the Freedom of Information Act showed 39,883 recorded incidents of all kinds of physical restraint in mental health trusts during 2011/12:
- Surrey and Borders NHS Foundation Trust reported just 38 incidents over the year while Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust reported 3,346.
- Figures for overall physical restraint incidents, including face-down incidents, were compiled from answers provided by 51 mental trusts.
- More than half of the responding trusts, or 27, said 3,439 of the incidents were of face-down restraint, a potentially life-threatening form of restraint.
- Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust recorded 923 incidents of face-down restraint and Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust 810,
- A separate survey of 375 frontline healthcare staff involved, showed almost a quarter, 22%, had not had face-to-face training on physical restraint techniques.
- More than four in ten, or 42% said that with hindsight, they felt that restraint.
More top news
The Duke of Cambridge was presented with a wooden shield and a motorbike petrol tank bearing the Aston Villa crest.
The vote will complete Turkey’s transition to a new executive presidential system.
The violence broke out at a community centre on Clockhouse Lane, Romford, east London.