A Sumatran elephant endangered from illegal logging has died. ITV News highlighted the story of Raja who was being held to ransom by villagers in Aceh, Indonesia. They were demanding compensation from the government for the financial loss they were suffering.
In a statement charity Elephant Family said: "The villagers buried Raja soon after his death, and without having been able to examine his body, it is difficult to know for sure how he died.
"From the reports they gave, it seems that very tragically, through their inexperience and without checking with the vets, the villagers started giving Raja something new to eat from the forest - something he could naturally eat, but which is very rich in protein and which his body wasn't used to.
"It seems that they gave him too much of this particular plant, and this caused a sudden bacterial infection and bloating, and his young body couldn't cope. It apparently all happened so quickly."
More top news
Police are searching for the 'despicable' thieves who stole an elderly couple's Christmas money in a distraction robbery.
The row over parking allegedly started after the local council re-paved a road in Harrow.
While most of us think our calorie consumption is around 2,600 it will actually be nearer 6,000 - the same as 12 Big macs.