A study of 86,000 British homes by the Energy Saving Trust Foundation found the following:
- Hot water use contributes £228 to the average annual combined energy bill
- Britons shower 4.4 times a week and take 1.3 baths on average
- The average shower lasts 7.5 minutes. Cutting a minute off that time could save households £215 million each year.
- Just over a fifth of household water is used by kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, kettles, taps and washing machines
- 95% of people boil the kettle every day while 75% of people overfill
(Energy Saving Trust Foundation)
More top news
Germany's spy agency is facing one if its most embarrassing leaks after thieves broke into the building and stole the taps.
A 14-year-old boy was tied up and threatened with a machete by burglars when he was home alone.
James McClellan, 53, is suing the firm claiming he was branded an 'old buffer' and forced out of his account manager job.