A study of 86,000 British homes by the Energy Saving Trust Foundation found the following:
- Hot water use contributes £228 to the average annual combined energy bill
- Britons shower 4.4 times a week and take 1.3 baths on average
- The average shower lasts 7.5 minutes. Cutting a minute off that time could save households £215 million each year.
- Just over a fifth of household water is used by kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, kettles, taps and washing machines
- 95% of people boil the kettle every day while 75% of people overfill
(Energy Saving Trust Foundation)
More top news
Hundreds of facial hair aficionados from around the globe have taken part in the World Beard and Moustache Championships in Austria.
An airliner carrying 147 passengers had to make an emergency landing after the pilot died during the flight.
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has been urged to apologise for suggesting tax credit cuts will make Britons work harder.