A study of 86,000 British homes by the Energy Saving Trust Foundation found the following:
- Hot water use contributes £228 to the average annual combined energy bill
- Britons shower 4.4 times a week and take 1.3 baths on average
- The average shower lasts 7.5 minutes. Cutting a minute off that time could save households £215 million each year.
- Just over a fifth of household water is used by kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, kettles, taps and washing machines
- 95% of people boil the kettle every day while 75% of people overfill
(Energy Saving Trust Foundation)
More top news
It is a murky picture across the UK and for most of the country it will stay dull and damp with extensive mist and fog overnight.
Police release CCTV of two suspects, one wearing a Scream mask, suspected to have been involved in a sexual assault on Halloween.
A £3.6m haul of cannabis has been found stuffed in more than 1,000 tins of olives in Ireland.