A study of 86,000 British homes by the Energy Saving Trust Foundation found the following:
- Hot water use contributes £228 to the average annual combined energy bill
- Britons shower 4.4 times a week and take 1.3 baths on average
- The average shower lasts 7.5 minutes. Cutting a minute off that time could save households £215 million each year.
- Just over a fifth of household water is used by kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, kettles, taps and washing machines
- 95% of people boil the kettle every day while 75% of people overfill
(Energy Saving Trust Foundation)
More top news
Chancellor George Osborne has announced a £500m investment for the Faslane naval base in Scotland, home of the UK's nuclear deterrent.
Five-times major winner Maria Sharapova has pulled out of the US Open tennis championships due to a leg injury.
Police are hunting for a mother who has disappeared with her 10-week-old baby.