A study of 86,000 British homes by the Energy Saving Trust Foundation found the following:
- Hot water use contributes £228 to the average annual combined energy bill
- Britons shower 4.4 times a week and take 1.3 baths on average
- The average shower lasts 7.5 minutes. Cutting a minute off that time could save households £215 million each year.
- Just over a fifth of household water is used by kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, kettles, taps and washing machines
- 95% of people boil the kettle every day while 75% of people overfill
(Energy Saving Trust Foundation)
More top news
A woman has been shot by police during a counter-terrorism operation in which four people were arrested.
Boris Johnson's sister has joined the Liberal Democrats to fight against hard Brexit - in a sign of family division over Europe.
Temperatures up as the sunshine returns