A study of 86,000 British homes by the Energy Saving Trust Foundation found the following:
- Hot water use contributes £228 to the average annual combined energy bill
- Britons shower 4.4 times a week and take 1.3 baths on average
- The average shower lasts 7.5 minutes. Cutting a minute off that time could save households £215 million each year.
- Just over a fifth of household water is used by kitchen appliances such as dishwashers, kettles, taps and washing machines
- 95% of people boil the kettle every day while 75% of people overfill
(Energy Saving Trust Foundation)
More top news
About 130,000 litres of fake vodka have been seized from an illegal booze factory, the tax office said.
Groups of dairy farmers have milked supermarket shelves dry across the country in a protest against falling prices.
Seasonal rains have battered the country since late June with more than 150,000 people affected by floods and landslides.