- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
The Queen celebrates her 89th birthday today - but will she get to share it with her new great-grandchild?
Phil Rudd also pleaded guilty to possessing crystal meth and marijuana in a New Zealand court.
Ed Miliband will order an emergency recruitment drive of nurses so an extra 20,000 will be working in the NHS by 2020.