- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
A new device that can detect the early signs of diabetes in children is being developed by British scientists.
The contest for the 2024 Olympics could feature two cities from the Middle East including Qatar capital Doha
Up to 1.5m pre-payment gas meters have been found to have been overcharging customers due to a fault.