- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
Jessica Bamford's parents rushed her to hospital after a 'white hard substance' formed around her mouth but luckily she did not swallow it.
Nine in 10 emergency services personnel have experienced stress, low mood and poor mental health, according to a recent survey.
An ancient ocean on the surface of Mars held more liquid water than the Earth's Arctic Ocean, scientists believe.