- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
The young Labour supporter seen celebrating an impromptu photo with Ed Miliband has defended her desire for an early campaign selfie.
An unsettled weekend of weather forecast as conditions turn wet and windy from the west tonight and slowly clear eastwards through tomorrow
An astronaut has set off for NASA's first year-long mission to the International Space Station - leaving his identical twin back on Earth.