- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
A host of celebrities have taken to social media to speak out on the killing of well-known lion Cecil in Zimbabwe by a US dentist.
It will be largely dry with some good sunny spells breaking through across many parts today
Hayley Cowan was sentenced to four months and banned from keeping animals for life after killing Staffordshire Bull Terrier Beau.