- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
Eleven police officers are under criminal investigation over their handling of child sex abuse allegations against Lord Janner.
Elena Veronica Ciochina left her home in Newham on Saturday night and hasn't been seen since.
Sarah Champion quit in June as 172 Labour MPs backed a vote of no confidence in the party leader - but she has now asked for her job back.