- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
Choir wins public vote, while judges pick dancers ahead of 12-year-old singer-songwriter Henry Gallagher.
The hunt for murder suspect Jed Allen has ended after police found his body two days after discovering his mother, stepdad and sister dead.
A woman who had been searching for her mother for more than 10 years has been reunited with her after posting an appeal on social media.