- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
The songs played included The Brady Bunch theme song, followed by The Smiths' Suffer Little Children.
NASA has given the green light to an emergency space walk to repair a broken-down computer attached to the International Space Station.
A necklace blessed by Buddhists helped a British woman become the youngest female to scale Mount Everest from both sides, she claims.