- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
Scientists believe they may have found the key to fighting HIV - and it rests in the immune system of llamas.
The United Nations has made a renewed and record-breaking global appeal, after falling well short of its last request for financial help.
It used to be the most important club on the northern variety circuit, but since Bernard Manning's death the club no longer draws the crowds