- May 2010: Coalition formed including a large number of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs
- 3 May: Eurosceptic UKIP win more than 140 council seats at the local elections, taking many from the Conservatives.
- 8 May: There is no mention of a referendum in the Queen's Speech, angering some Conservative MPs.
- 14 May: Conservatives publish draft bill calling for a referndum to be held before the end of 2017
- 16 May: 114 Tory MPs rebel by voting in favour of an amendment to the Queen's Speech
- 5 July: Private members' bill brought by Tory MP James Wharton to get second reading in Commons
More top news
Police are hunting four men who smashed their way into a jewellers in broad daylight and threatened staff with sledgehammers.
ComRes polling agency chairman says the next 100 days will be be gruelling in the most uncertain General Election that anyone can remember.
Pictures taken 70 years after the liberation of the Nazis' Auschwitz death camp echo the horrors of its Holocaust past.