- 2007: Returns to UK from tour of duty in Iraq.
- October 2009: Suffers brain injury during an endurance marathon in Brazil.
- September 2011: Civilian police discover the pistol and ammunition in Nightingale's rented home after a tip-off. He allegedly tells police that the gun was a "trophy" from Iraq, although he later contests this account.
- November 2012: Pleads guilty to gun offences and is ordered to serve 18 month in military detention. The Court of Appeal later reduces and suspends his sentence.
- March 2013: Original conviction overturned by Court of Appeal
- July 2013: Convicted of the original offences by a fresh court martial
More top news
McDonald's in Japan will resume serving large portions of French fries in January after a labour dispute in the US disrupted supply.
More than four in 10 cases of cancer in the UK could be avoided if people made changes to their lifestyle, Cancer Research says.
Services took place in Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and India on the 10th anniversary of the tsunami which claimed 230,000 lives.