- 2007: Returns to UK from tour of duty in Iraq.
- October 2009: Suffers brain injury during an endurance marathon in Brazil.
- September 2011: Civilian police discover the pistol and ammunition in Nightingale's rented home after a tip-off. He allegedly tells police that the gun was a "trophy" from Iraq, although he later contests this account.
- November 2012: Pleads guilty to gun offences and is ordered to serve 18 month in military detention. The Court of Appeal later reduces and suspends his sentence.
- March 2013: Original conviction overturned by Court of Appeal
- July 2013: Convicted of the original offences by a fresh court martial
More top news
Rio Ferdinand has hit back at Kick It Out's criticism of him by labelling the anti-racism organisation as 'pointless'
When Alison Powell's four-year-old Labrador Missy would not stop sniffing and pawing her, she knew it was more than simple canine affection.
Police have confirmed that six arrests were made as part of their operation for the Arsenal v Galatasaray Champions League match