- 2007: Returns to UK from tour of duty in Iraq.
- October 2009: Suffers brain injury during an endurance marathon in Brazil.
- September 2011: Civilian police discover the pistol and ammunition in Nightingale's rented home after a tip-off. He allegedly tells police that the gun was a "trophy" from Iraq, although he later contests this account.
- November 2012: Pleads guilty to gun offences and is ordered to serve 18 month in military detention. The Court of Appeal later reduces and suspends his sentence.
- March 2013: Original conviction overturned by Court of Appeal
- July 2013: Convicted of the original offences by a fresh court martial
More top news
PM used a speech in Hamburg to say that the UK will not 'pull up the drawbridge and retreat from the world' but Europe must change.
It is set to remain unsettled into Saturday, becoming drier on Sunday.
The Independent has announced it is to cease publication and go online only from the end of March.