- 2007: Returns to UK from tour of duty in Iraq.
- October 2009: Suffers brain injury during an endurance marathon in Brazil.
- September 2011: Civilian police discover the pistol and ammunition in Nightingale's rented home after a tip-off. He allegedly tells police that the gun was a "trophy" from Iraq, although he later contests this account.
- November 2012: Pleads guilty to gun offences and is ordered to serve 18 month in military detention. The Court of Appeal later reduces and suspends his sentence.
- March 2013: Original conviction overturned by Court of Appeal
- July 2013: Convicted of the original offences by a fresh court martial
More top news
Noel Edmonds beat off competition from Ant and Dec to be voted Britain's favourite children's TV presenter.
A number of teenagers - including some who have never smoked - are experimenting with e-cigarettes, a study has found.
Singer Lil' Chris - who was found dead last week - suffered with depression and mental health issues for years, his family said.