- 2007: Returns to UK from tour of duty in Iraq.
- October 2009: Suffers brain injury during an endurance marathon in Brazil.
- September 2011: Civilian police discover the pistol and ammunition in Nightingale's rented home after a tip-off. He allegedly tells police that the gun was a "trophy" from Iraq, although he later contests this account.
- November 2012: Pleads guilty to gun offences and is ordered to serve 18 month in military detention. The Court of Appeal later reduces and suspends his sentence.
- March 2013: Original conviction overturned by Court of Appeal
- July 2013: Convicted of the original offences by a fresh court martial
More top news
An ITV Tonight investigation found more than half of women surveyed between the ages of 18 and 34 have been sexually harassed in public.
Katy Perry performed her new single surrounded by two giant skeletons seemingly modeled on Donald Trump and Theresa May.
The Brits saw two awards handed to the late David Bowie and tributes to George Michael. Here is a full list of the winners.