- 2007: Returns to UK from tour of duty in Iraq.
- October 2009: Suffers brain injury during an endurance marathon in Brazil.
- September 2011: Civilian police discover the pistol and ammunition in Nightingale's rented home after a tip-off. He allegedly tells police that the gun was a "trophy" from Iraq, although he later contests this account.
- November 2012: Pleads guilty to gun offences and is ordered to serve 18 month in military detention. The Court of Appeal later reduces and suspends his sentence.
- March 2013: Original conviction overturned by Court of Appeal
- July 2013: Convicted of the original offences by a fresh court martial
More top news
ITV News visited Scotland and Wales on Tuesday and spoke to members of the public after the verdict was announced.
Burberry and Chanel star Hanne Gaby Odiele says the surgery she had aged 10 to remove undescended testicles was unnecessary.
President Trump has signed executive orders to advance construction of the controversial Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines.