- 2007: Returns to UK from tour of duty in Iraq.
- October 2009: Suffers brain injury during an endurance marathon in Brazil.
- September 2011: Civilian police discover the pistol and ammunition in Nightingale's rented home after a tip-off. He allegedly tells police that the gun was a "trophy" from Iraq, although he later contests this account.
- November 2012: Pleads guilty to gun offences and is ordered to serve 18 month in military detention. The Court of Appeal later reduces and suspends his sentence.
- March 2013: Original conviction overturned by Court of Appeal
- July 2013: Convicted of the original offences by a fresh court martial
More top news
Dippy the Diplodocus now has his own Twitter account as fans fight to keep him in the main hall of the National History Museum.
The BBC has announced that it has kept the Premier League highlights for a further three years through to the end of the 2018/19 season
Campaigners have hailed new tough guidance for prosecutors and police when tackling rape allegations as a "significant step forward".