The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill has passed into law in England and Wales after being granted royal assent.
The Act will:
- Allow same sex couples to marry in civil ceremonies
- Allow same sex couples to marry in religious ceremonies (where the religious organisation has "opted in"' to conduct such ceremonies and the minister of religion agrees)
- Protect those religious organisations and their representatives who don't wish to conduct marriages of same sex couples from successful legal challenge
- Enable civil partners to convert their partnership to a marriage if they wish
- Enable married individuals to change their legal gender without having to end their marriage
More top news
Remaining cold for most this weekend with the risk of ice overnight
Last-minute Christmas shoppers have also been warned to watch out for icy pavements as the cold snap continues.
A chip shop in Cullompton has created a special Christmas Dinner - completely deep fried in batter. But how does it taste?