The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill has passed into law in England and Wales after being granted royal assent.
The Act will:
- Allow same sex couples to marry in civil ceremonies
- Allow same sex couples to marry in religious ceremonies (where the religious organisation has "opted in"' to conduct such ceremonies and the minister of religion agrees)
- Protect those religious organisations and their representatives who don't wish to conduct marriages of same sex couples from successful legal challenge
- Enable civil partners to convert their partnership to a marriage if they wish
- Enable married individuals to change their legal gender without having to end their marriage
More top news
Paul Burrell, the former butler to Princess Diana, will enter the Celebrity Big Brother house tonight as part of a new task.
Simon Cowell has the Overs category while Cheryl Fernandez-Versini will be mentoring the Groups.
The author of the new James Bond novel has apologised after he said that British actor Idris Elba is "too street" to play the spy.