Detroit was once synonymous with US manufacturing prowess - now it has become synonymous with decline, decay and crime:
- The city's debt is estimated to be $18.5 billion
- Detroit's population fell to 700,000 from a peak of 1.8 million in 1950
- It has nearly 78,000 abandoned buildings
- The city's murder rate is at its highest in 40 years
- Only one third of its ambulances were in service in the first quarter of 2013
Once a powerhouse of the US car industry, Detroit has filed for bankruptcy as it owes creditors almost $20bn it cannot pay.
Detroit, once a booming American metropolis, has become the largest US city to file for bankruptcy, with debts of at least $18bn.