The elderly and carers must take extra care in the heat, care home Anchor Trust advised today, as temperatures continue to soar.
Carl Martin, Wellbeing Manager at Anchor’s West Hall has issued the following advice in keeping cool in the heat:
- In the heat, older people should drink plenty of fluids.
- Stay away from tea, coffee and alcoholic drinks as these are dehydrating.
- Eat foods that retain water, so plenty of fruit, vegetables and salad.
- Older skin has less elasticity so can be more sensitive to the sun - they should use a once a day suncream that is photostable.
- Sun hats and sunglasses are a necessity.
- It is important to check in on elderly neighbours and friends in the heat.
- Hot weather can be as dangerous as cold weather.
- Enjoy the sun in moderation.