An important part of the debate on the Government's initiative on pornography filters should be whether they actually work. Here are five problems:
- Determined paedophiles seeking images will simply use the opt out button.
- Experts stress that paedophiles seeking images more often use "peer to peer" image sharing. In the past ITV News has investigated disturbing material being passed on social networks.
- Even the best filters do not stop all suspect material. Recent research suggested that even the very best will fail to detect about 10%.
- Filters designed to stop pornography usually stop other content too, leading to households routinely switching them off.
- The biggest internet experts in your home are probably your children - and ways to get around filters are already common knowledge in the playground.