The councils in England with the largest surpluses - before costs - in 2011/12 were:
- Westminster - £41.6 million
- Kensington and Chelsea - £28.1 million
- Camden (north London) - £25 million
- Hammersmith and Fulham (west London) - £19.5 million
- Wandsworth (south west London) - £16.1 million
- Brighton and Hove - £14.4 million
- Islington (north London) - £10.9 million
- Cornwall - £7.9 million
- Newham (east London) - £7.3 million
- Hounslow (west London) - £7.3 million
More top news
Alex Salmond found himself in a stand-off with airline staff after booking on to a flight under the name James Kirk.
Romelu Lukaku equalised to ensure Everton earned a point after Danny Ings had given Liverpool the lead in a heated derby clash.
Postman suspended as part of probe as hundreds of letters from a Black Country delivery office took two and a half years to arrive.