The councils in England with the largest surpluses - before costs - in 2011/12 were:
- Westminster - £41.6 million
- Kensington and Chelsea - £28.1 million
- Camden (north London) - £25 million
- Hammersmith and Fulham (west London) - £19.5 million
- Wandsworth (south west London) - £16.1 million
- Brighton and Hove - £14.4 million
- Islington (north London) - £10.9 million
- Cornwall - £7.9 million
- Newham (east London) - £7.3 million
- Hounslow (west London) - £7.3 million
More top news
Cross-channel services face the possibility of ongoing disruption because of migrant activity in and around Calais.
Big companies will have to show that their supply chains do not use child slave labour or exploit people, David Cameron has announced.
Disneyland Paris is reportedly facing a pricing probe amid claims it charges British tourists more than its French customers.