The councils in England with the largest surpluses - before costs - in 2011/12 were:
- Westminster - £41.6 million
- Kensington and Chelsea - £28.1 million
- Camden (north London) - £25 million
- Hammersmith and Fulham (west London) - £19.5 million
- Wandsworth (south west London) - £16.1 million
- Brighton and Hove - £14.4 million
- Islington (north London) - £10.9 million
- Cornwall - £7.9 million
- Newham (east London) - £7.3 million
- Hounslow (west London) - £7.3 million
More top news
Angela Merkel is shaping up to win a fourth term as German chancellor - extending her 12-year stay at the top of the Bundestag.
Cambridge once again beat rival Oxford in the Good University Guide league table while Lancaster was named university of the year
A band of cloud and patchy rain, occasionally heavy, will move across western parts during the day.