The councils in England with the largest surpluses - before costs - in 2011/12 were:
- Westminster - £41.6 million
- Kensington and Chelsea - £28.1 million
- Camden (north London) - £25 million
- Hammersmith and Fulham (west London) - £19.5 million
- Wandsworth (south west London) - £16.1 million
- Brighton and Hove - £14.4 million
- Islington (north London) - £10.9 million
- Cornwall - £7.9 million
- Newham (east London) - £7.3 million
- Hounslow (west London) - £7.3 million
More top news
Widespread frost for most areas as temperatures dip below freezing.
Premier League clubs have agreed to pay all full-time staff the living wageof £9.15 an hour in London or £7.85 an hour outside the capital.
Tamworth represents what's going on at the national level, a remarkable boom in jobs but wages only just beginning to overtake inflation.