The councils in England with the largest surpluses - before costs - in 2011/12 were:
- Westminster - £41.6 million
- Kensington and Chelsea - £28.1 million
- Camden (north London) - £25 million
- Hammersmith and Fulham (west London) - £19.5 million
- Wandsworth (south west London) - £16.1 million
- Brighton and Hove - £14.4 million
- Islington (north London) - £10.9 million
- Cornwall - £7.9 million
- Newham (east London) - £7.3 million
- Hounslow (west London) - £7.3 million
More top news
More than 157,000 cars rolled off production lines last month, 3.5% more than the October 2016, while exports have increased by 5%.
The chancellor cut duty on homes sold up to £300,000 in his Wednesday Budget, a boon to young people hoping to get onto the property ladder.
The ARA San Juan disappeared on November 15, en route from Ushuaia to Mar del Plata.