The councils in England with the largest surpluses - before costs - in 2011/12 were:
- Westminster - £41.6 million
- Kensington and Chelsea - £28.1 million
- Camden (north London) - £25 million
- Hammersmith and Fulham (west London) - £19.5 million
- Wandsworth (south west London) - £16.1 million
- Brighton and Hove - £14.4 million
- Islington (north London) - £10.9 million
- Cornwall - £7.9 million
- Newham (east London) - £7.3 million
- Hounslow (west London) - £7.3 million
More top news
A fine start into a new month with sunny spells and cloud coming and going.
One of art's mysteries has been solved, and while the lady in the Mona Lisa remains unconfirmed, we now know what the mark in The Scream is.
Donald Trump has visited Mexico's President Enrique Pena Nieto and discussed the Republican's plan to build a wall between the countries.