A suicide bomber attacked the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan capital of Jalalabad on Saturday morning, Indian officials and local police said, killing six people and wounding 22.
Gunfire resounded through the area for at least an hour following the 10am blast near the consulate entrance.
All the casualties were civilians, except for one wounded Afghan soldier, said Baz Mohammad, a senior health official in Nangarhar province.
Indian ministry of external affairs spokesman Syed Akbaruddin tweeted:
Attack in front of #India's Consulate in Jalalabad(Afghanistan). 3 Brave Afghan National Policemen injured. All Indian officials safe.
More top news
There was an "alarming" increase in the number of death sentences issued around the world last year, Amnesty International has said.
Paracetamol is ineffective at treating back pain, Australian researchers say.
Madonna says she still cannot bring herself to watch footage of the moment she fell on stage while performing at the Brit Awards.