The world's first burger made from lab-produced beef will be cooked and eaten in London today. Here is a brief explanation of how 'in vitro' meat is produced:
- Muscle stem cells are extracted from a cow
- The stem cells go through processes to help them multiply and develop into muscle cells
- They are then trained to 'bulk up' by being placed between two 'anchor points' and placed under tension while being supplied with nutrients
- After they have coalesced into strands of muscle - about a centimetre long and a few milimetres thick - they are collected and frozen. They can then be defrosted and formed into patties.
- To give the meat the right taste and appearance, it is coloured red and flavours are added
More top news
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is seen as the force behind the king’s decision to change the rules.
Rose Leslie and Kit Harington have married in Aberdeenshire.
Game of Thrones stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie have tied the knot.