Opposition fighters across Syria are preparing to launch attacks that exploit anticipated US-led military strikes, a rebel commander has said.
But Qassim Saadeddine, a former Syrian army colonel and spokesman for the rebels' Supreme Military Council, added that there are no plans to coordinate with Western forces.
He told Reuters: "The hope is to take advantage when some areas are weakened by any strikes.
"We ordered some groups to prepare in each province, to ready their fighters for when the strike happens."
On Friday, the US it was considering a limited response to a "brutal and flagrant" chemical weapons attack by the Syrian regime it says killed more than 1,400 people in Damascus.
More top news
A man from London who was the subject of cruel online taunts has had the last laugh when a group of celebrities threw a party for him in LA.
The Sydney gunman who took 18 people hostage in central Sydney last year was a self-obsessed fantasist, an inquest has heard.
An extremley rare bird may become extinct in Syria because of the fall of Palmyra to militants, experts have warned.