France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Witnesses told the court how they heard a child's voice crying "sorry", loud banging and a man screaming about the loss of a shoe.
Police looking for missing RAF airman Corrie McKeague have found "no trace" of him following extensive searches of a landfill site.
Forensic experts say the surrealist painter's famous moustache retained “its classic shape of ten past ten” as his body is exhumed .