France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
A calendar by photographer Steve McCurry captures the rare and disappearing food traditions of rural Africa.
After the Finnish company was acquired by Microsoft, all its phones will soon be rebranded as Microsoft Lumia devices.
After yesterday's fierce wind and rain things are starting to calm down, but it is still autumn so it remains fairly unsettled.