France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Ex-Spitfire pilot Allan Scott, 94, said he was told off by the Queen when he first met her in 1943 when she was just 16.
Last minute preparations are going on at the Church of St Mary Magdalene where Princess Charlotte will be christened.
Princess Charlotte is being christened on Sunday at Sandringham in Norfolk in only her second public appearance since she was born.