France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Labour leader Ed Miliband is due to set out his party's plans on how it would cut tuition fees.
New drug driving laws are to come into effect next week, including laws on some prescribed medications.
The Duke of Cambridge followed in his mother's footsteps today as he visited Commonwealth War Graves in Japan.