France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
UK airport passengers have to walk up to a kilometer from check-in desks to reach their departure gates, new research has shown.
In an annual survey taken among local authorities in the UK, 2,463 stray dogs were put to sleep between April 2015 and March 2016.
Inspectors found the availability of drugs at HMP Bedford was having a "serious impact" on safety.