France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Mother charged with intent to pervert the course of justice after alleging her breastfeeding child was pulled from her by a security guard.
Dash-cam footage shows the plucky pair risk a head-on collision to stop the car which was going at 70mph.
If you have been affected by an issue in our Changing Minds series, are in distress or need some support, help is available 24 hours a day.