France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
The latest baby name figures have been released - but is your name one of the most popular or falling out of favour?
Yoko Ono has accused the family lemonade business of 'abusing and misusing the legacy of John Lennon to sell their soda'.
The PM will demand faster action from Google, Facebook and Twitter as world leaders set them a deadline and warn of fines for inaction.