France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
The cold weather is set to continue over the next few days with further wintry showers and icy patches, particularly at night.
Some child abuse survivors say they received death threats after MPs published their details online.
Coronation Street has found another actress to play Bethany Platt, after a previous one was dropped for lying about her age.