France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
The young Labour supporter seen celebrating an impromptu photo with Ed Miliband has defended her desire for an early campaign selfie.
An unsettled weekend of weather forecast as conditions turn wet and windy from the west tonight and slowly clear eastwards through tomorrow
An astronaut has set off for NASA's first year-long mission to the International Space Station - leaving his identical twin back on Earth.