France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Today there'll be plenty of sunshine across the British Isles with wispy cloud towards the coast.
A Star Wars-themed fleet of planes is set to take to the skies after Japan's Ana Airways announced a partnership with Lucasfilm.
A gorilla almost smashed through a glass enclosure when he saw a little girl beat her chest.