France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Sixty Brexiteer politicians, economists and business leaders urged the Prime Minister to reserve the right to walk away without a trade deal
They were steering their way through busy streets just minutes after the world’s last remaining bar on it was lifted.
Since the beginning of 2018 the Metropolitan Police has launched more than 70 murder investigations.