France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
World leaders meet in London to tackle the Ebola outbreak in west Africa which has so far claimed at least 3,000 lives.
A lack of communication and teamwork skills prevents youngsters from getting a much needed foot onto the career ladder, according to a poll.
A dog who fell in a pool of hot tar has had a lucky escape after being rescues - and painstakingly washed - by an animal charity in India.