France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Five major airlines face enforcement action from the UK regulator for "systematically" denying passengers compensation for late flights.
Storm Doris will bring various disruptive weather elements, from being wet and windy across the UK to snow in parts of Scotland.
The company advised customers to "unplug" their tumble dryers and "do not use it" if they are subject to the recall.