France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
TOWIE star Mark Wright has tied the knot with Coronation Street actress Michelle Keegan at a lavish ceremony in Bury St Edmunds.
West Ham United have confirmed Sam Allardyce will not continue as their manager next season.
A goalless draw at home to Manchester United condemned Hull to the Championship next season.