France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
The Clipper Round The World Yacht Race is due to begin in London today from St Katherine's Dock.
Once a year W11 comes alive with the colour of carnival. Everything you need to know about getting around and what to see in Notting Hill.
People should only be allowed to move freely within the EU if they have a job waiting for them, the Home Secretary has said.