France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Medical staff who helped during the Westminster terror attack have received a royal thanks for their life-saving efforts.
Colin Gregg, the son of the founder of the Greggs bakers chain, has been jailed at Newcastle Crown Court for 13 and a half years.
Khalid Masood was killed by a single gunshot to his chest, after the terror attack which claimed the lives of four people, an inquest heard.