France has been a vocal advocate of military action in Syria following an alleged chemical attack on opposition-held areas of the capital Damascus.
- 30 August: Hollande announces France could take action in Syria without UK
- 2 September: France releases a summary of its intelligence concluding that Assad's regime was likely to blame for a "massive use of chemical agents"
- 2 September: Assad tells a French newspaper that France risks becoming Syria's enemy
- 3 September: Hollande says France will not act without the US
- 3 September: Assad regime releases a letter to French MPs urging them not to support a strike
- 4 September: French National Assembly debates Syria issue
More top news
Mild air but windy & wild
House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey is understood to be being investigated by British police over a second alleged sexual assault.
The biggish politics from the Budget is that there will be a £6bn stimulus in the year before Brexit and £10bn in the year after Brexit.